Marixa

Disease or deficiency (or else?)

Hi everyone,

I'm growing zucchinis in containers and here are some pictures of one plant. They're all not like that, but this one is in a bad shape. I looked under the leaves and the is no trace of white powder or insects. Also, the older leaves are affected and not the new ones. They start yellowing and then they become brown and dry, as you can see. The plant still produce flowers and fruits and its other parts look totally fine. It didn't lack water and it's near a tree so it both has shade and sun during the day. The container is fairly big (a little larger than 40 cm, I'm pretty sure).

Also, I am looking for cheap and homemade solutions. I don't like to spend a lot of money on 34056834 products :)

Thanks!!
Attachments
P1010723-2.jpg
P1010722-2.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The top picture with the silvery markings looks normal
As zucchini plants mature, the oldest leaves often develop silver or grey blotches, streaks and spots on their upper surfaces. In this case, there is no disease or pest present, it is simply one sign of a mature leaf. As long as the silver areas are not accompanied by insects feeding on the underside, blooming fungal bodies, or dried out spots along the leaf's surface, it's unlikely that your zucchini is ill.
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/silvery-sp ... 37547.html

The bottom picture is not looking so good. It could be a mosaic virus, but it could just be a bad attack of some sucking insect, like thrips. Thrips are tiny, about a mm long. To the naked eye, they look like tiny darkish threads. If you hold a piece of paper under the under side of the leaf and shake the leaf, you may be able to spot the thrips against the white paper.

Marixa

Hello there,

Thanks for your paper sheet idea. I tried it and I also looked carefully under the bad leaves. They look clean and nothing came off them.

Also, on my first picture, you can see signs of yellowing. That's how it starts, then it looks like the second picture.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”