kantho10
Newly Registered

Yucca plant-HELP NEEDED!

I have had my yucca plant for about 5 years and it's always done fantastically. Never had any issues with it, other than the cat constantly trying to eat it. Recently however, the stems have started to droop and go soft. I've read up a bit on underwatering and drought thinking one of these would be the problem but I'm just not sure which!
I was previously watering the plant once a week, but after thinking overwatering was the problem, I left it for 2 weeks without water. It seemed to get a bit better, so I watered/misted it very slightly. Since then it has gone downhill, 2 of the smaller stems are really struggling and the biggest trunk is now starting to sag. What should I do?
I've uploaded some pictures of the plant. The room is south facing so gets quite a lot of light, but this is Scotland to its quite cloudy today!
Please someone help!
Attachments
2015-06-08 20.10.53.jpg
2015-06-08 20.09.01.jpg

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

First off - I don't think that's so much a "Yucca" plant, but more a "Dracaena". They're somewhat related & frequently confused/misidentified, but do enjoy much of the same care except for the fact that most Yuccas thrive outdoors, even in temperate climates, while Dracaenas remain tropical that won't withstand frost.

Dracaena's are definitely very sensitive to overwatering & do not like or require any "misting". In addition, one should NEVER water a plant on some pre-set "schedule", but should check the soil moisture (just a finger dug in an inch or two) before deciding whether or not the plant needs a drink. I'm thinking that your plant is starting to rot from too much water. You "might" be able to save it by replanting it with slightly dryer soil, but frankly that will be a junk shoot.

kantho10
Newly Registered

Hi, thank you for your reply.
My mum has always called this type of plant a yucca but thanks for the clarification! :) I actually have a smaller dracaena which does great, except the cat has chewed most of the leaves. Do you know of any successful methods to stop cats eating indoor plants?
I feared that root rot had set in. What is the best approach to combat this? I read somewhere that I should investigate the roots and cut out the infected/mushy roots. Cleaning the secatears with a bleach solution after each cut, then repotting.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Plant some wheat grass or oat grass seed in a separate pot for the cat. Cats need greens, just like humans. You can get this at feed stores, or you can buy the little containers that Wal-Mart sells in the cat food section. Heck, the dog likes this grass, too.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Not to get too OT, but I buy these seeds for my cats: https://parkseed.com/cat-grass/p/51091-PK-P1/ when Park is holding one of their several "free shipping on any order" promotions. Seeds remain viable a long time, germination is great, & the cats love them.

But it still doesn't solve the problem of houseplant-grazing kitties since they frankly cannot & do not differentiate between what plants are "theirs" and what plants are "ours". The only semi-solution I've found is to make the "ours" plants as difficult to access as possible.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”