afuhrm
Newly Registered

Snapdragon Pest- Please Help

Hello.

I am growing several hanging baskets and containers in my garden. All of them are a combination of lobelia, calibrachoa, and snapdragons. Something is killing only my snapdragons one by one. Some of my baskets have no snapdragons left at all. For the previous 5 years I have grown snapdragons in the ground and something killed them one by one every year as well. All my other flowers are fine. There is absolutely no sign that anything is wrong with the plants at all and then one day they are just wilted and dead. I noticed 2 very small (smaller than house fly, larger than a gnat) bright green bugs that had wings on the snapdragons. Could that be what is killing them?

The picture I am posting shows one that is very healthy next to one that looked just as good a few days ago but is now afflicted with whatever pest/disease that has been plaguing my garden.

Thank you in advance for any input.
Attachments
20150605_081718.jpg

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

It is hard to figure out what went wrong with your snapdragons. I know that they need well drained soil so perhaps they didn't like being in a pot. Or it could be that a fungus got to them. I used to grow snapdragons in the ground and never had any problems. When I was a kid, my Dad had me grow snapdragons because they were easy to grow. Gardening isn't always easy though. The soil is very important. I don't care for container gardening myself. I only use pots to start plants and then transfer them to the ground.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”