callmeJen
Newly Registered

Planter boxes

I wanted to cover up an ugly shed wall, and my boyfriend had the genius idea of growing vines on it rather than installing siding, so I decided to build some custom boxes. They are 54" long, 24" tall and 16" wide

After chatting with my local nursery, I insulated the sides with rigid foam, and went with a high compost mix of soil.

I currently have clematis (prince charles) and some sweet peas at the back of each box.

I started beans way too early inside (I was picking beans off a month ago) so I put them up front hoping the fresh soil would help brign them back as they aren't looking that hot.

If the beans don't make it, is there anything else that would work well with clematis and sweet pea in a box of this size? I like the idea of companion planting, but have never really looked into it fully.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

clematis is perennial. Sweet pea is probably annual. I don't think it is a good idea to mix annual vines and perennial vines together in the same planter or even same trellis. The annual vines will die and have to be pulled off the trellis. It's a pain if they are mixed in with the perennial vines, which you don't want to pull off the trellis.

So are you looking for annual vines or perennial?

Also what is the sun exposure of your trellis?

applestar
Mod

...but doesn't the clematis vine die down to the ground in winter? I think it will be OK. @callmejen could just remove all the dead vines.

But yes,cwe need to know the kind of sun exposure. Also, is your clematis the kind that only bloom for a short period of time, or do they bloom all season?

I like runner beans. I'm growing a runner bean/pole bean hybrid this year called TenderStar with scarlet and white bicolor blossoms. But beans might overwhelm the clematis....

For an understated accent, you might try Cypress vine. They have lacy leaves and tiny scarlet trumpet shaped blossoms that hummingbirds like. They self seed and volunteer so
I've never tried to get a jump on the season, and so they bloom in late summer until frost in my garden.

callmeJen
Newly Registered

Sorry! It faces due south, so full sun starting around 9 am and lasting until sundown

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”