Tony120
Newly Registered

Help with Plants

Hi, I am a bit of an amature, so if anybody can help me. I want to put about 12 containers each about 16 inches wide, half moon size and fix them to my fence. I want to put a Chrysanthemum in the top of
each one as they will flower from Autum onwards. Would there be room to put another
plant with it that would flower spring/summer, ie would there be room or would the Chrysanthemum take too much space up, my other question is if I can add another plant
what plant could I use. Thank you to any help you can give. :)

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

You're right in that a Chrysanthemum in each planter will pretty much take up all the space if you want them to look healthy. Even then you may either want to consider them disposable - like annuals - or plan on transplanting them into the ground somewhere once the season is over (assuming you're in an area where the ground won't already be frozen).

That said, I do think that you could safely get away with one small summer annual per container - perhaps petunias?

Tony120
Newly Registered

Hi, thanks for reply, therefore if that is the case, what plants could I use as a perenual in the containers to flower spring summer/summer autum ?? any ideas . I want somthing showey to look realluy good,type, prefer red colours.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

First off, I have no idea where you are located, so that doesn't help. Second, in my experience I can't say that any perennials are going to survive for the long run in half hanging containers. My vote is still for the mums (with fingers crossed - & depending on where you're located, they may not make it through the winter) with a annual or two tucked in for the summer.

Perennials have deep root systems that make them container-friendly only if the containers are large, deep, & relatively frost-proof (in areas where that is necessary).

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”