Kermieterp

Is this frost damage?

hello! Newbie gardener here, and I'm not sure what's happening to my cucumber plant! Is this frost damage as we had a cold spell here recently......
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Have to say that it does look like it.

I don't know where you're located, but I'm in Virginia (Zone 7), & here we are "just" approaching the time when it's reliably safe to either direct-sow cucumbers or transplant indoor-started seedlings. You may have jumped the gun.

Your seedlings may very well recover as the damage doesn't look all that bad. But you also may want to start a few more as backups.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It could well be. They are looking a bit "burned." That can either be frost burn, wind burn, or sun burn, if they had been indoors and came out without enough gradual exposure, "hardening off."

Kermieterp

Thank you so much for replying! I am in Southern California zone 8a. We are having unusual cold spells for this area and time of year! I am now watching the weather like a hawk! I did go ahead and direct sowed a couple more seeds in case I lose this one but it seems to be hanging on! :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It should be OK. The "burned" leaves will never recover, but any new leaves it puts out should be fine.

albopepper

Kermieterp wrote:Thank you so much for replying! I am in Southern California zone 8a. We are having unusual cold spells for this area and time of year! I am now watching the weather like a hawk!
Have you ever heard of https://www.wunderground.com ?

It is an amazing weather forecasting site that I started using a few weeks ago. It will show the 10 day forecast for your ZIP along with a line graph that shows the projected temperature curve through the entire day & night. Plus it has LOTS of little goodies!

Kermieterp

No I haven't , but I'll take a look!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”