MileHighDenvee
Newly Registered

Plaster container help

Hi everyone,

I found your wonderful forum and would like some help as a new gardener....I purchased these 2 containers (I think they are plaster, failry heavy) and need some input....there are no drainage holes.....
1) Do I drill my own??
2) should I fill the bottom with rocks?

Are these even outdoor plant containers or am I making a mistake? I wanted to put them on my front deck.....

any input is much appreciated,

Nick
Attachments
planters.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You didn't say where you are. Whether they can stay out all winter, depends partly on what kind of winter you have. In Florida, they will be fine to stay out year round. I'm guessing your "plaster" containers may be concrete. If so, in cold winter areas, concrete or plaster or anything porous can absorb water, which can freeze and crack the pot. In that case they would be better brought in for the winter, though if you don't mind taking the chance of cracking them, you can leave them out and see what happens. They may make it for a few seasons.

Re the drainage. You can not plant into something with no drainage. You have a couple choices - attempt to drill holes in them (preferably more than one each), which also risks cracking them. Or you can use them as cache pots. Put rocks and gravel in the bottom and then put a smaller plastic pot on top of that (small enough that it doesn't show over the top) and plant in to that.

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

As far as winter freeze if you are in a colder area, which I'm assuming Denver CO by your name, you can try leaving them out all winter as long as you first let them dry out and then cover them with a water tight cover. We have a concrete bird bath that we turn upside down on one of our largest pots because it is too big and heavy to move and it has survived at least 10 winters including the last two polar vortex winters here in the NorthEast.

Good luck!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”