Denise
Newly Registered

Bringing Asparagus Fern Indoors

Hi all. I'm new to this site, so please excuse the goofs I might do. :) Today is one of many days that we've had fall-like weather. I saw my asparagus fern outside that someone had given me, and being I always wanted one indoors, I brought it inside. My question is, what should I do, if anything, to make it an indoor plant now? :roll: I have it in the only window that I have downstairs, which is great because it has a southern exposure. It's a little on the light-colored side, but there are darker green areas on the plant. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your answers in advance. :lol:

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Denise,

I realize it's been a while since you brought your asparagus fern indoors and I'm hoping it's doing well. The only advice I would give is to be sure it doesn't dry out too much. When grown in a pot they tend to dry out more quickly. They like part sun so your window should be fine for it. Do watch out for spider mites, especially if they become stressed. Do check to see if it needs repotting.

Newt

Denise
Newly Registered

Thank you Newt for your response. It's doing well, although some of the under part needles are turning yellow. :( But I fed it and do keep it watered. It did get really dry recently---oops :shock: ---but I'm watching it very closely now. It's such a beautiful plant and feels so soft. I hope it's OK that I "pet" it once in a while. :lol: Thanks for asking about my beautiful plant.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Denise, that's great news. You are probably getting yellow leaves from the soil drying out. I used to forget to water mine all the time and the leaves would yellow and drop. You might want to stop the feeding for the winter or at least use half the strength unless you are using an organic fertilizer.

You can 'pet' your plant all you like! :)
Newt

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”