stph
Newly Registered

What to plant in a strawberry planter?

I have just bought a terracotta strawberry planter - any suggestions about what to plant in it? I am a very beginner gardener. I was thinking of putting a rosemary plant in the main section. What about the little side pockets? And what would be the best place to put the planter for these plants?

Grateful for any suggestions!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

stph,

Rosemary is a drought tolerant plant. If you do choose Rosemary that will dictate the types of plants that you can use in the pockets. You must pick plants that have similar requirements WRT moisture and sunlight.

If you must keep the pot in a certain location, shade/sun that will play a large part in the types of plants that you can use.

Norm

stph
Newly Registered

Thanks for your reply?

Do you have any recommendations for what to plant with rosemary? The pot will probably be in a fairly sheltered spot that will get some late afternoon sunshine. I'd like it to be colourful!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

stph,

You're welcome?
The pot will probably be in a fairly sheltered spot that will get some late afternoon sunshine. I'd like it to be colourful!
Rosemary would be happier with quite a bit more sun than that, nor is it particularly colorful.
Do you have any recommendations for what to plant with rosemary?
If you are an active cook perhaps some other herbs that come from the Mediterranean as well. If I recall correctly, Oregano has a trailing habit that would be appropriate for the pockets.

Norm

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi stph

Do not plant rosemary in the top or you will never be able to get it out and you will need to take it out as it will outgrow the pot in 2/3 years.. They do grow quite large and the root system will take over the whole pot. I know I have done it! :shock:
Go for alpines. They will be quite happy to be confined, will trail over the side, will easily come out and will provide lots of colour if you choose wisely. You could plant each hole with a different one or plant all the holes with the same plant and go for one explosion of colour and then tuck it away until next year. In the top plant a taller growing alpine or bulbs.

FreeNatureArts

Greatings :) , the strawberry pots have alot of beautiful possabilities so before I say anything more, I really hope you enjoy it.

It would possably be okay to have Rosemary in the pot for five or six months, but Rosemary grows big and does it fast, they have a beautiful way to tollerate alot of what you do as well. My mom had a Rosemary in a unheated dark garage with no water all winter, and it survived to grow another season. But, they are giants when it comes to a pot :(, and some can also break their home to pieces.

I had a planter like that in the beginning of my gardening adventures and it held Hens and Chicks really well, the little slots would possably hold donkey tails nicely, and then if your into christmas this could make a great center piece of red and green.

You wanted more color though, so maybe you could make the strawberry pot into a Harb garden? With all the colors out there you'd have a endless rainbow. :)

My Strawberry pot had one big hole on top and four on the sides, if yours is the same then you could possably get some Yellow Orageno, chocolate Mint, Sweet Basil, Drawf Dill and lastly some Blue morph Sage. They tend to tollerate shade and though water is a big part of their nutients they don't usualy grow big enough to need transplant from the pot. If or when they do, their roots are normaly soft enough and gentle enough to survive transplant.

This is just my suggestions though, there are a great many kinds of plants out there, and herbs are almost endless when it comes to blossom-less color.

stph
Newly Registered

Thank you everybody for your advice!

I'll take and post a picture when I get it done! :P

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”