jbockenfeld

Croton leaves falling.

I have had a croton for 3 years now and just heard about pruning them to keep them bushy. I have not pruned mine but I have repotted it. My leaves drop every so often. I don't know why. I want to make it bushier if possible and more red leaves would be awesome. Here are some pics if anyone has pruning advice on how far to go.
Attachments
20150313_031153.jpg
20150313_031145.jpg
20150313_031214.jpg

imafan26
Mod

The color of the croton leaves depends on the cultivar. I don't know the name of yours, but it is not a red leaf one. I only know the names of a few. Indian blanket has leaves with patches of different color, including red. Some crotons have broad leaves like yours others are thin and spiky or curly (mammy), some of the leaves are shaped differently (Duckfeet). Some are dwarf like mammy, and the broadleaf ones can make very tall hedges up to 15 ft, some of the leaves are spotted (gold dust).

Croton is a slow growing plant, so you can't make it bushy quickly. You can pinch out the growing tip to see if it will branch. Crotons are not horrendously deciduous but they do drop old leaves. To get the plant to grow faster. Next time I would put it in a much bigger pot. Crotons will be checked by a small pot.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”