tinypixie16

String of hearts? Help!

Hello, I had this beautiful hanging potted plant a few years ago, and I'm hoping to find out what it was so that I can get another. I always called it a "string of hearts," but after googling a bit, it does not appear to actually be so. It definitely has succulent-like tendancies, like easy propagation from a bead or a string, and the beads are fluid filled and glisten in the sun like window plants. Is anyone able to offer suggestions for identifying it? Any help appreciated. I had mine for many years, and it's strings got very long, but unfortunately it died due to negligence on a care-taker's part :( :(

Help me identify :)

**edit, I realized it also looks a lot like a "string of pearls" plant, but in actuality, I have some infant s-o-p's right now and they are different. My s-o-p's look like peas, where as my previous plant, the beads had a neat little pattern, were heart shaped, but still succulent-like! Ahhh!!!
Attachments
unknown string of hearts.jpg

imafan26
Mod

I can't tell or zoom in on the picture. Could you mean String of Pearls? I could not tell if your beads are flat or round.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamen ... -plant.htm

tinypixie16

imafan26 wrote:I can't tell or zoom in on the picture. Could you mean String of Pearls? I could not tell if your beads are flat or round.
No, I edited my post because I forgot to include that I currently have string of pearls (s-o-p) and the plant I am trying to identify was similar, but not the same. The leaves are flat, but when they are engorged with water, the balloon up a bit, but not the same as s-o-p. I'll see if I can dig up some more pictures.

tinypixie16

I wonder if this will show the leaf pattern and that they start out "flat" but "inflate" when the plant is well watered.
Attachments
Geneva 11 060.jpg

tinypixie16

I'm bumping this because no one was able to give me an answer... still hoping someone can help me identify it. I have string of pearls right now, and this is not it!

imafan26
Mod

I saw the plant you have on another site but it was not identified. It did however have a string of hearts vine and it doesn't look like the one you had.
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/housepl ... ndoors.htm

tinypixie16

It's like a perfect mix of string of hearts and string of pearls. Ugh I'm so upset, it's such a lovely plant and easy to propagate, too. I'm so angry I killed my original one. I think I bought it at my local Home Depot, and they have lots of similar hanging succulents, but not this one. :(

tinypixie16

I found it! If anyone is interested, it is Peperomia prostrata. Yay! I called my local florist who was able to research it for me, and it turns out they are right. Woot.

imafan26
Mod

Good for you. I don't think I have seen this plant. I don't have much luck with peperomias. The slugs just love them.

Nocturnal
Newly Registered

I have a string of hearts (ceropegia woodii), but it is not as full as your photos, so I'm not sure... mine is much more strung out... long and stringy like... perhaps yours is a different variety though.

Edit:

Whoops I am late to the party! Never mind me :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”