Pambie
Newly Registered

Dying Marigolds

I live in Southern Spain and have just bought 12 Marigold plants from my local garden center. Within a few days some of them are starting to wilt and die.
Can anyone tell me what is wrong.
Thanks
Attachments
Marigold 2.jpg

applestar
Mod

It could be just transplant shock. If they were in a protected area at the shop, they may have needed to be acclimated to the -presumably- hot sunny area where you put them. And good drink on first planting.

Also, the one in the picture that has browned leaves looks far too small to have managed to bloom like that, especially if there had been any root damage while planting. So it would have helped to clip off the flowers and any flowerbuds that were ready to open (that takes extra effort and moisture that the plant didn't have, and may have sapped it's strength or it may even have redistributed from the leaves.)

There is also chance of spider mites. You may want to check for webbing in the leaf nodes.

Hope that helps. :D

Pambie
Newly Registered

Thank you

imafan26
Mod

You need to be careful to make sure when you transplant not to transplant deeper than the plant was in the pot. Also realize that marigolds for the most part are annuals and only live about three months. Deadhead after the bloom and see if you will get new blooms off the branches. If you like the marigolds, save the seeds after the last seed heads have dried.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”