Gilcano

Air pruning for better results??

I was watching some videos on YOUTUBE and came across of this subject. As per the people exposing their results the plants will do better because of root aeration, this consist on making holes in the pots (See picture). Someone here had any experience with this??.

imafan26
Mod

I do that for orchids. They do not like plastic pots that don't breathe and most orchids are epiphytes and live in the wild with their roots hanging out in the air.

It would air prune, but you probably need to water often because those pots will dry out faster. It probably depends on what you are planting. Plants that like to be almost dry between watering would probably do o.k. but plants that like moisture would probably not be as happy.

MrBote

Those are air pots in a rain gutter, automated watering setup. I have used those before and they did use more water. About twice as much as closed SWC.
I agree with imafan about choice of plants. I found that with short season crops it really wasn't beneficial being that they were finished about the time they were getting root bound. And with a self watering setup, the roots did not really air prune.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”