River

Overgrown black cherry tomatoe plants

In a container that measures 21-22 across the top tapers down some and is around 18 inches tall. I would think they hold 10 gallons or better. Plastic ones sold at the dollar general and lowes. I usually just plant one per pot. The weather turned for the worst and they grew like crazy inside now 27 inches tall. I can plant them on Saturday. I just have 18 plants and I can only give a few away.

If not I will have to compost the plants

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sorry you didn't get a response to this. Did you get them planted? Your 10 gallon containers should be enough for one tomato plant each. Over grown tomato plants are usually not a problem. Just bury all that stem and it will root along the length of it, giving it a really good root system.

Yokoharu

I read some place that over grown plants you can bury them horizontal leaving 5 inches on the surface. Eventually the plant will straighten. I grew mine in 5 gallon pails.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

For planting in the ground, planting horizontal like that is a good idea, since in cold winter areas, the deeper down you dig, the colder the soil likely is, in spring. Planting horizontal keeps the buried stem in the surface soil that is already warmed. But river was talking about planting in containers.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”