pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Re: Self Watering Container and Sub-irrigated Planter

Here's a planting guide, with suggestions on how many to put in the Earthbox, which is slightly smaller than the 18 gal tubs. However, the suggestion of 6 peppers is a bit many for things that get large - I put in 4 anchos and big jims, which was a bit crowded, but produced very well. And last season I had 3 chinense varieties in one, and they produced huge amounts, but I'll still only put in 2 this season, just so I can find the peppers! The 8 Okra seemed like a lot, but worked out fine.
https://earthbox.com/earthbox-planting-guide

MichaelC

I'm feeling very pleased, I just finished constructing two 5 gallon bucket sip's.
sip1.jpg
IMG_1592.jpg
IMG_1590.jpg

Allyn
Green Thumb

Awesome! Do keep us apprised of your progress. :)

MichaelC

I certainly will, either in my carrot thread or here as appropriate. I already have a couple questions. First, a fair amount of soil initially washed into the reservoir, as I did expect, turning the color to a dark chocolate. I can see why you built in barriers. Does it make any difference if I leave the dirty water vs. dumping it? Also, looking at the pictures I provided, might perhaps more drainage holes, closer to the edge, be in order? I refer to the bottom of the inner bucket - around the edge seems neglected.

Allyn
Green Thumb

There's going to be dirt in the water, It's okay as long as there isn't so much of it that it makes mud and fills up the air gap. I think the holes are okay in your inner bucket. There's room for more and more won't hurt, but I don't feel like you have too few. See what other folks think.

applestar
Mod

For fun, I made a SIP out of a 1 gallon distilled water jug and an ice cream container for a micro-variety tomato called Red Robin for the Winter Indoor Tomato Garden. I'm going to give this one or another one like it to my Mom. :D

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”