snallanon
Newly Registered

What are the best vegetables for container gardening

I'm trying to do some research & was wondering what are the best types of vegetables for container gardening. I'm not talking just tomato. I'm saying tomato: patio, pixie the different verity's. Any help would be greatly appreciated & thank you in advanced.

applestar
Mod

Where do you live and what kind of conditions amount of sun, etc. will they be in? What size containers are you planning?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

but are you also asking about other veggies besides tomatoes?

Here's a nice thread we had recently about growing veggies (including corn!!) in containers:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 21&t=60620

imafan26
Mod

Bigger containers are better.

I put peppers, tomatoes, ginger, jicama, beans, peas, eggplant, zucchini, taro, kale, strawberries, and all kinds of herbs in containers.

You could put smaller things like lettuce, beets, carrots in pots but I usually put that in the ground or plant them around the larger plants like the eggplant and peppers when they are small and don't need the space yet.

MrBote

I agree with imafan about bigger being better. While many vegetables may only need 8-10" of depth, on the shallower containers, the roots will find their way into the water reservoir and then take on a sort of hydroponic habit, which can effect the flavor of some vegetables such as tomatoes. Not that the flavor will be bad, but more or less take on the taste of store bought produce negating half of the reason for growing your own in the first place.

There is a learning curve for tomatoes in containers. Not so much getting them to grow and set fruit, but to get the fruit to make it to full maturity and especially so when it comes to vine ripening if you grow anything bigger than the miniatures. Otherwise, you may find that you are picking them green and letting them ripen on the shelf. . . which is again, more like store bought. Not that it's a bad thing, and really will be about the same as learning to grow tomatoes to their full potential in the ground. Biggest challenge with containers is having enough water that works with your schedule if you have a day job and cannot babysit them during the day.

I have been at tomatoes in containers for a number of years by now. I am in central Florida and my plants will end up getting about 8-10 hrs per day of sun. I primarily grow larger, indeterminate types that can get taller than 8 feet. I just made these containers and these are 18 gallon totes, which is about the minimum for what I grow. In this case, these plants will be kept pruned, geared more towards fewer tomatoes but of higher quality. Even with the higher capacity water reservoir, keeping them ideally moist can be a challenge when I can't be home during the day to make sure it never dries out.

I also added some kerick float valves to keep them watered while I am at work. Excellent valves from my experience. I will also add nursery cloth to the grill on the bottom to keep the roots out of the water and from fouling the valves.

I do still add the manual fill tubes in the event a valve were ever to get fouled and I also have an auto system for that option. It's just harder to fine tune the timer for just the right amount of water without continuously flushing the system.

Things I have grown successfully in containers, to the point of abundance? Tomatoes, Cabbage, Dino Kale, Swiss Chard, Blueberries, Strawberries, Spinach, Pole Beans, Broccoli, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Bell Peppers, Cayenne and Jalepeno peppers and herbs such as Italian Parsley and Cilantro.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Lots of vegetables can be container grown as long as you provide the proper growing conditions and a large enough container.

The particular varieties depend on your location. City and state - not just USDA growing zone. Give the forum members a little more information about your local and your particular growing conditions - hours of direct sun and average rain fall.

With more information the forum members will be able to give you better and more specific advice.

If you have a few tools you can get creative with your containers. Store bought pots can get expensive. You can get 5 gallon buckets for very little from fast food joints. They get their sliced pickles and frozen strawberries in 5 gallon buckets. If you ask nicely you can get these buckets for free or a couple of $ at most. A 1" drill bit for drainage holes and a 2" round bit used to drill a hole in a door for a knob will give you a planting hole on the side of the bucket if you want to grow a hanging bucket. Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant - 1 per bucket. Cucumbers - 2 per bucket if you give them something to climb. Lettuce, spinach - greens in general - 10 to 12 per bucket. Root crops - depends on the crop. Beets and turnips need more room than carrots. I have grown wonderful crops of potatoes in 1/2 50 gallon drums. Lots of drainage not just on the bottom but on the sides as well. Start with about 12" of soil and add soil as the plants grow.

Container gardening can be lots of fun. The draw backs are proper drainage, water access and nutrient depletion.

Don't forget herbs. Basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano - 1 per bucket. Parsley and cilantro 2 or 3 per bucket. Dill 2 or 3.

Good luck and have fun.

snallanon
Newly Registered

thank you all for your help. I was looking for the different verity's that were, are or found to be exceptional verity's for container gardening. I'm not so much worried about my climate zone. I was going to try some cross pollination.

imafan26
Mod

Varieties that are designed for containers are more of the dwarf types like the pixie tomato and Red Robbin, but while they are petite, you give up a lot of flavor.

I would try to look for varieties that can grow in containers but still be tasty, which would probably mean you have to reset your parameters for how tall you are willing for them to be.

That being said, as long as you have at least a 5 gallon container, you can grow a lot of hot peppers for a couple of years.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”