RainyDays
Newly Registered

Container plants that don't need much direct sunlight?

I'd like to start an indoor container garden (decorative and / or edible). :) As my apartment faces north, I don't get much direct sunlight, especially in the winter. In fact, I don't really get any direct sunlight in the winter. (I'm not sure about the summer, as I've lived here less than a year.)

Are there any plants that can handle this? I live in Seattle so in addition some days are overcast.

applestar
Mod

Unless you plan on using supplemental lights, your choices are pretty limited. Indoors AND north-facing is extremely challenging.

I do have one edible suggestion though that works very well during the cooler months of the year: sprouts
Subject: Experienced sprout growers -- I have questions!

There ARE a number of ornamental foliage houseplants that will tolerate low light conditions though.

Your options may open up during late spring to early fall when the sun rises a little north of true East and sets a little north of true West, and especially in Seattle, days are longer.

imafan26
Mod

Understory plants are probably going to do the best but they still will need good light. If you are going to keep plants in the house they should be on an open shelf with florescent lights about 4-8 inches above the foliage. One light per shelf. If the lights are adjustable, better yet. No trays of water under the pots. Check with your finger to see when they need water, carry them to the sink and water them and let them drain completely before putting them back in place. If you have a fan, set the fan to blow a gentle breeze on the plants to improve air circulation and keep fungal disease down. It will also help dry the soil out so it does not stay wet for a prolonged period. Get as much natural light in the room as possible and use a reflective surface behind the shelf (like aluminum foil on a board or on the wall to reflect back as much light as possible.

Ferns, phalaenopsis and Paphs (they like 70% shade), mushrooms (as long as it is cold they like it very dark), cast iron plant, sanseveria (both very adaptable to harsh conditions), ivy, moss, some begonias, but to get them to flower they will need better light or pothos (another hard to kill plant).

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, there are lots of tropical rainforest plants that we use as house plants that can tolerate those conditions. Peace lily is another nice one and probably wouldn't even need the supplemental light. Also parlor palms, corn plants, dragon trees, philodendron, aglaonema / poison dart plant, etc.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”