dionysiap

Syngonium in water or pot?

Hello!
I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, let me know if I should move it!

I just completely trimmed by syngonium, and I read somewhere that syngonium can easily grow roots in water, so I put the pieces I trimmed off that still had leaves in pots of water! Is this the right way to do it? Or is it better to put them in soil?
And I also read you can just leave them growing in water, or is it better to take them out and put them in soil as soon as they have good roots?

I also cut off a bunch of tiny nodes where just a bit of green was peeking through (with root attached), should I place these in water (they will be dunked under, they're only little helpless torsos), or should I pot these?

Thanks in advance!

imafan26
Mod

Syngoniums are easy to root. I have not water rooted it but realize water roots are not the same as soil roots. I usually just take a tip cutting with at least 3 nodes and I stick two of the nodes directly in the growing pot of moist potting soil. They will usually root in a couple of weeks. The soil should not be allowed to dry out.

Syngoniums in a tropical climate will continue to travel and root when outdoors; eventually climbing up trees and fences. It is a weed in my yard. In the sun the leaves will be almost white and in deep shade they are green. They do look good in hanging baskets where they can trail down.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”