Odyssey
Newly Registered

Need advice/ideas on a climbers Please =)

Hi! we are in Queensland and are renting, the back fence is... well... simply chicken wire and we are in a area where we have no neighbours and a field behind us which means all our back garden is exposed to a main road and I'm really not comfy with that... so I'm looking for screening.

I was thinking about using a couple of pots some wire and a non invasive climber to do the trick. First I thought maybe passion fruit but they seem to turn into a weed that will over take the garden.... as we are renting I cant afford for this to happen. Also the other factor is we have dogs soo something non harmful.

In all honesty I'm looking for a lower maintenance climber with fruit is a bonus but as long as it has some nice flowers for a visual effect, something I can hook up and feed and water but don't have to worry about it taking over as my partner has a disability and I wont have much time to attend to it. I love the Clematis too... <--- will that work?

ok advice/ideas would be really appreciated, thankyou
:)

Grey
Greener Thumb

Hi Oddysey, whereabouts are you located? It will help us think of vines that will work well for you. Clematis takes a long time, around here Passion Flower isn't invasive. Morning glories are depending upon where you are. There's also Moonflower, Confederate Jasmine, and climbing Hydrangea.

Odyssey
Newly Registered

hi =)

I'm in australia. I'm a bit paranoid about climbers so slow growing and non invasive or structure damaging would be best... maybe some other screening plant ideas also? :?

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi Odyssey :D

I would go with the confederate jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides)
that Grey suggested. It is a twining, evergreen climber that grows to about 20ft with the most incredible scented white waxy flowers. It is not invasive has a lovely bronze colour on new growth and is very easy to train out sideways.
Depending on how much area you want to cover you could grow a clematis in a pot as well but they are not that easy in pots. They need a long root run so the pot would have to be quite deep. They prefer a neutral soil and like to be moist but free draining. They like their feet in the shade and their heads in the sun so if the area is south facing you would have to protect the roots from the sun by planting something else in the front of the pot and most need cutting down to about a foot high each year so you wouldn't get any cover for a few months.
Check on the web for invasive vines in your area to see if the passion flower would be a problem. They aren't here but that is no guarantee they won't be there. You could also try Akebia (check this also for invasiveness) Again it is evergreen with lovely purple flower drops and does fruit under favourable conditions. if you let us know your min and max temps there I am sure you could get away with more tender climbers than I can. This list could go on and on and on! :lol:

Odyssey
Newly Registered

ok more info... lol... your right would be a good idea :P

I wont be putting the climber on the fence because I don't want it to be permanent, I was thinking 3-4 large pots along the back fence line and 2-3 along the side fence with wires running horizontal for the climber to grow on. ....just something so the boys at the RSL across the back field and the traffic on the main road cant see me rolling around the yard with my pups would be great lol... so even if its only 1.5-2 meters high is perfect. :wink:

temps would be min about 10 max about 35, I think the climate zone is 9-10. the area is a normal house block back fence plus a side fence. (big lol) it will be on the south west facing of the house. umm what else. hot area no frost. no drip system so hand watering, minimally.

I really love the flower on the clematis so anything similar would be great. I don't mind if I need to put a different plant in each tub/drum to cover the areas. My partner suggested fruit trees but I'm not sure they will cover the area. I'd like something that covers all year round lol I may be asking alot :? I just really really don't want a vine like ivy that just runs and runs and covers everything in sight. :shock:

thank you for the replies guys! its really appreciated. :D

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hmmm. Actually not a lot of choice for you. First time I have had to think of plants that won't get cooked rather than freeze! :D

Not much choice on the Clematis front. You could try Florida siaboldii or Avante gard. Nether get too big and tolerate zone 9/10. Other than those Mandevillea will grow well for you and Thunbergia which come in various shades. You could also try growing shrubs that don't get too big in pots.
https://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_trees_shrubs_evergreen/article/0,1785,HGTV_3645_3659476,00.html
This site lists shrubs suitable. You will have to google for info as a lot of them I have never come across.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”