Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Kids round swimming pools 80 cents at Dollar general.

The pools are originally $8 each but are reduced 90% at this time of the year. I bought 10 of them this year and 5 last year.. They are about 3 to 4 foot across and about a foot deep. I also use them to cover plants from frost. They make nice raised beds and you can even put a small hole several inches from the bottom so they hold some water. They are also nice to put potted plants in for the spring with a few inches of water so they need no watering for a week or so. I even mix dirt and sand in them! Buy two and fill one up with water and cover with the spare. Nice sand box for kids! They also make a nice frog pond just add sand and rocks! Lots of ways to use them! How would you use them?

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Thanks for the mention, I'll check when next I'm down there.

Richard

imafan26
Mod

I bought one of those a few years back for my dog. When the days were especially hot in summer, I would put a few inches of water in it and he would jump in and out of the pool, run around the yard; jump back in and lie in it. Eventually between jumping in and out and his claws he put a hole in it, so I bought him a small horse trough. My husband and I had to go to the other side of the island just to get it. It was thicker, but oval. He could still jump in and out of it but he could only sprawl out in one direction. The next sized pond would have been too heavy to empty. He had a lot of fun with that.

River

I thought about that not sure if there any in our area. I was thinking about a post
Regarding what everyone does with there used potting soil. I didn't want to place it on the ground
So I thought about the pools & then I forgot. Thanks for posting this

imafan26
Mod

I would think that the pool would make a good raised bed garden or sandbox for the kids. Although you would have to come up with a sturdy lid for it or it will become the cats litter box.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Like I said buy 2 and use one for the lid with a brick on top so the wind does not move it. Good water storage near a garden with the lid to stop insects getting in!

River

I check all of our stores they sold out a few weeks back maybe next year

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”