neorich2002
Newly Registered

Drainage with modern plant pots

Hi All,

I have recently had my interest sparked in growing some cactus/succulents indoors. So I've been searching for modern style plant pots, and I like this kind of style ...

However, my question is about the drainage. I know drainage is important for cactus growing (and I assume that's true for all plants) and the pots I linked to above have a drainage hole, however they have no drip-catching saucer. They are not alone, besides the old fashioned terracotta pots, it seems so difficult to find plant pots that come with a saucer. I asked several companies and they say they don't make saucers. Of course I could just put a dinner plate underneath it, or something similar, but that would ruin the point of getting a pot that I like the look of :(

So I'm curious, what do you guys and girls do about buying pots with/without saucers. And who would buy modern stylish pot, with no saucer to go with it?

Thanks

Regards

neorich2002

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Strange... Usually pots like that are made with no drainage hole, to use as cache pots. I think you would have to use these as cache pots anyway - with a regular pot AND saucer inside them. Having to have the saucer inside to will mean the inside pot will have to be definitely smaller.

Otherwise you could just plug the hole and use it as a regular cache pot with just a pot inside it.

The sleek design of those would be totally ruined by having a saucer outside them.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Someone else wrote in about these exact same pots, with the same parlor palm in them, but theirs were white and had no drainage holes:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 29#p343129

Really don't know why they put drain holes in yours!

imafan26
Mod

Saucers are a good way to kill plants. The first thing I do with hanging baskets is ditch their saucers. In fact, lately all I can find are the self-killing hanging baskets and self-watering pots, so I actually ditch the insert and put more holes in the bottom of the pot. If you are using the saucer to protect the floor that is one thing, but most people are lazy and will water the plant in place. The water collects in the saucer. If the water doesn't get emptied and if you have plants that don't like a lot of water like cacti and the saucer stays full of water all of the time, the plants are likely to rot and you end up with a lot of fungus gnats buzzing around. There are saucers around but I haven't seen square ones only the ones for terra cotta pots that I use as a butterfly water dish and the plastic ones that are only good as shields. The only other pots that I have seen saucers made for are bonsai pots but they are usually sold as a set.

The square pots are cool. It would be a good cachepot. I have a few glazed pots that I use for that. I don't usually plant in glazed pots because they do not breathe and notoriously have no holes or one small hole.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

the thread I linked to addresses the drainage issue. When using a cache pot, you have to make sure the inner pot is not sitting in the water that drains out. Either empty it or have the inner pot sitting on pot feet or rocks so that it is elevated above the drained water.

I really think the best way for you to use these would be just to plug the drain holes. Put wire screen across the hole and then coat with silicone caulk, ready mix concrete, plaster of paris, etc.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

IDK what is wrong. I am posting replies and they are vanishing into thin air - both PM's and direct replies.

DITTO Imafan - I HATE pot saucers. The only thing they are good for is to kill plants - especially cacti and succulents. I would use the decorative pots as cache pots. The inserted pot can be removed for watering and allowed to drain. That should not be an issue for cacti and succulents. If you water them to the point that water drains out of the of the drain hole you are over watering and will kill your plants. If you are concerned about soil falling through the drain hole =- line the bottom of your pot with a piece of landscape cloth or even an old tee shirt.

I do have a 24" clay pot saucer that I planted with succulents. It is on my patio table. It can not be in the open area of the patio because the saucer has no drainage. I get WAY too much rain. They would drown in no time. They MAY or MAY NOT get 1/2 cup of water per month. I only water if the foliage??? starts looking thin. When it loses it's "plump".

LOVE your pots.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Something wrong with me, as usual! Yes, I use pot saucers in the house. I also use them in fancy pots. That being there is a pretty plant in plain plastic pot put in a nice container, and have saucer down under the plant. Outside a different situation.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

All 20 some of my indoor containers have either saucers under them or built in saucers. How else would you keep water from going all over your floor/ carpet? When I take the plants/ containers back outside, the saucers come off, unless we get a lot of hot/dry weather, in which case I may put them back. At that point with outdoor plants, holding on to some moisture helps.
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

imafan26
Mod

Just out of curiosity, what makes a pot modern?

There is another thread about someone asking about "modern" plants.
It is even harder for me to decide what a modern plant is unless it is a new cultivar. Unless modern means just what is in style for the moment. Plants can be tropical, Mediterranean,pre historic, cloned, alpine, etc, but what makes them "modern"

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

contemporary architecture and interior design is all about smooth sleek surfaces, angularity, minimalism:

https://modernhomesportland.com/files/20 ... Home-1.jpg

https://www.homedressing.net/wp-content/ ... re-003.jpg

https://www.architectureartdesigns.com/w ... exture.jpg

https://interiordesign4.com/wp-content/u ... -room3.jpg

"Modern" plants is a little harder, but I take it to refer to strong "architectural" geometric lines and forms, interest based on shape not color, no frou-frou.

https://cdn1.lappr.com/images/home-decor ... -Style.jpg

https://www.varrell.com/wp-content/uploa ... -Sofa1.gif

I think you can see how OP's containers would fit nicely in to any of those scenes.

And not so much in to some cozy traditional interior:

https://www.statedesign.com/advertisers/ ... room-1.jpg
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think you can see my biases ... I think contemporary homes and interiors make strikingly beautiful pictures.

Here's the ultimate contemporary home:

https://www.homedesignfind.com/wp-conten ... xhouse.jpg

a glass box that you can see right through.

But they always look to me like no one lives there. Cold. Whatever the opposite of cozy is.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The guy that wrote in about modern plants made it clear part of what he was looking for was a masculine effect, big and bold and hard edged, nothing pink or purple or frilly or dainty or feminine. To me contemporary design is like the triumph of masculine over feminine: hard, rigid, angular, no color, austere, all about surfaces and visuals. Traditional interiors were feminine: soft, yielding, warm, cozy, colorful, comfortable, make you feel good.

(Just to prevent a firestorm) I am not talking about people here, men and women. I'm sure lots of guys like soft and comfy as much as anyone else. I am talking about yin and yang, feminine and masculine energy.

imafan26
Mod

O.K., I think I got it I just have to substitute angular, strong lines, "tough" looking as opposed to "dainty" or ''fragile".

I actually prefer softer edges and curves and not hard edges or straight lines. That helps me since I can't do a straight line in anything and corners feel like they got cut off and something sticking out there for me to trip over or run into. But, orderly people do like orderly lines.

So sanseveria vs lily of the valley kind of a thing. Usually what works with those choices re repetitive almost even lines and not so much variations of color or texture. More order and a lot less serendipity.

Thanks for the explanation Rainbow.

Darius Hawkins
Newly Registered

For a Modern outdoor garden with the contemporary design I think the new trends in 2016/2017 changed the entire exterior design of the house, Here are some examples

First tips, DIY garden decorations, It`s on a budget and It`s fun to make one.

DIY Garden Ideas

Or the designer experts for more luxury.

Contemporary Exterior design

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”