rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re: Looking to Plant Some Modern Plants

meshmouse, this is a three page thread. If you go back to page 1, it will say more about what "modern" means in this usage. Also this thread: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... re#p345175

meshmouse

rbg -

Yes, I had read the thread from the start. As you suggested, I re-examined page one.

The most relevant statement I found was your line - 'A lot of what I would think of as "modern" plants - striking "architectural" forms and colorful foliage - I know as houseplants. They mostly turn out to be tropical that like heat...' Doesn't tell me what SummerMan thinks 'Modern' is, but it'll do.

OK, so we're talking 'Modern Usage' here, not anything in itself truly 'Modern'. Got it. I will slink away. No, wait a minute, maybe I won't.

SummerMan says - 'I'm not really looking for a lot of flowers or anything, especially if they are going to be pink or purple (I'm male).' I'm fine that he 'doesn't want a lot of flowers'. I'm fine that he doesn't like 'pink or purple'. But just what exactly does him being 'male' have to do with it?

I shoulda kept my mouth shut, but I've never been very good at that.

meshmouse

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

come on.... We may not like the stereotypes, but no one can argue that they don't exist. Go look in the "girls" toy aisle in a big store, where everything is pink and/or or purple and then look in the "boys" toy aisle where pink and purple don't exist. In our culture pink and purple are considered girly colors.

SummerMan was looking for landscaping with a strong, masculine effect.

meshmouse

OK rbg -

I understand. I actually like the look SummerMan's going for.

I think I was a little tired and cranky when I first read the post and I was hoping to learn something about 'modern' plants and was dissapointed. Sorry.

I don't like promoting stereotypes or intolerences either (altho I occasionally find myself guilty).

Regardless, pink for girls I understand, but purple? Really? Never knew or heard of that.

I've always known purple to be the sign of royalty. Isn't that why the artist formerly known as Prince is known for wearing purple garb? Did you know that purple is the color of royalty because it was so difficult to achieve (scrapping up all those little irridescent purple spots inside sea shells) Well, or so I've been told.

Anyway, peace and love.

meshmouse

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, the purple that is "girly" isn't usually royal purple. It's pastel purple like lavender or pinky-purple like fuschia or magenta, red violet, thistle, orchid....

pinksand
Greener Thumb

I do think there are ways to discuss different styles without bringing in gender or age-based stereotypes. It could have been left as "I'm not personally a fan of pinks or purples." I love the look of cottage gardens and I'm 27... certainly not granny status. Often it comes down to personal taste outside of any association with age or gender. At least that's my opinion, and I do think it's something worth pointing out because that's the only way to promote change and end perpetuating stereotypes.

But back to the point...

What about mexican feather grass or fiber optic grass in the center with trailing sedums on either side? Sedums come in such a variety of textures and colors that you could have some fun with it... maybe doing a planter with a gray/blue sedum and the next planter with a lime green or red hughed sedum and then alternating (blue box, green box, blue box, green box). I think by keeping it fairly simple and flowerless the look is contemporary without being as boring as a row of grasses. Just a thought?

Shirley Pinchev

Check out various bamboo plants. Not the huge timber ones of course but some of the variegated dwarf clumping kinds. I have several that are low maintenance, low water requirements and evergreen. One per container but with a personality will look great together. One tall, one med and wide and one with small leaves for a texture look. Very simple and yet very striking. You will have to do some research and they are not cheap - but will be a knockout in a very short time. There are hundreds to chose from and I am sure there are some nurseries that specialize in boos in the LA area. I am sure you have found some plants since this thread started some time back but consider trying one to get the appreciation. If you would like I could take some pics of three containers of boos that I have and post them.

Shirley Pinchev

AA9_0214 boo planter.jpg
AA9_0214 boo planter.jpg (49.7 KiB) Viewed 3264 times
AA9_0296 boo in container closeup.jpg
There are some beautiful small bamboo that will work. Here is a photo of one planter in our garden. They are water thrifty, evergreen and very low maintenance. Boos come in many colors, heights and even shapes. One of ours has an almost round leaf. The one in the photo gets half day sun and only needs to be trimmed every couple of years or when it gets raggedy. This one has been transplanted several times, was moved from CA to Seattle and is very happy. I is not bothered by cold - we are Sunset zone 8b and get some freezes and snow. Sorry, don't know the name but should be easy to find in LA. If they are in containers you don't have to worry about their spreading - they do not bloom very often and if they do, the seed heads can be removed. Some people say that they will die after blooming but most growers will tell you not to worry. If you are interested in the others we have, I could post more pics.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hello all,

I do not know how I missed this thread.

I do not know if I should laugh or cry.

SummerMan - if you have not found enough suggestions to satisfy you then shame on you. :eek: Sorry but you are beyond picky.

Your containers are limited in size so that limits you selection.

This thread is too long for me to read every post so forgive me if this question has been answered. Do your containers have good drainage? I am not talking about rock in the bottom of the container. I am talking about holes in the sides and bottom. If you do not have good drainage then plant fake plants. Real plants will not survive.

DITTO Applestar and RBG. Incorporate culinary herbs and vegetables.

I did not read all of the posts but I did see some comments about Royal Purple. Purple is neither masculine or feminine. True Royal Purple is called Royal Purple because it is the most costly color to create. In times past only Royalty could afford Royal Purple. Hence the name "Royal Purple."

The color referred to as Purple in our time is actually Auborgine. A lovely color but not quiet the depth of color of Royal Purple.

SummerMan I apologies for sounding strident.

I would love to see your finished product.

Darius Hawkins
Newly Registered

Garden decoration ideas are different when you have kids, why not trying some creative ideas like these beautiful & contemporary garden ideas for kids which will make your garden look luxury and your kids will love it too. ♥

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”