LMcNair27

Reusable flowerpots?

I'm somewhat new to container gardening, but have managed to successfully grow some seasonal veggies in window-boxes and flowerpots. The first few (some window-boxes of salad greens) are nearing the end of their life, and I'm considering planting some fall veggies in the window-boxes. My question is, do I need to get new soil? Or can I simply pull out all of the old plants, mix in some fresh fertilizer, and replant in the same dirt?
Thanks

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

LMcNair27,

If you have not experienced any disease or insect infestations then I would think that you can get away with re-using it now. It will not last indefinitely however and to try to do so is false economy.

Norm

FreeNatureArts

I agree with Norm, one helping of soil could possably last 10-12 months without refeshing, but it's a jumping game when it comes to plants such as vegies and fruits. I've tried growing Carrots in window boxes and it was fun, but when it came to puting spring vegies in it the vegies didint do as well as the carrots even with extra fertilizer.

If you think about it a plant absorbs nutrients from the soil and the fertilizer is just a hormone boost, don't get me wrong Fertilizers are great for transplant and a big harvest, but the soil holds much of the nurtients a plant desires. After the soil has been used once, consider 45 to 50% of the natural nutrients are gone, so if you put another plant in there it'll grow but not as well as your last plant. Continual plantings without refeshing of soil will open it to ailments like rotting and the plants will be at a poorer and poorer quality causeing them to be less abile to fight it.

The way I use the soil is dumping it into a compost bin or ditch in the yard after a second planting, that way it'll cause the old used soil to regenerate from the soil around it having constant nutrients. Then you can use new soil, and when that soil gets old dump it in seperate area and check the older piles. If the older one has no mold and wild plants grow in it, more then likely it's good to go :). And with it being in your compost, it'll have the extra jump a plant needs so as time continues commurcial fertilizer will become useless compaired to the power of natural soils and compost.

Overall a second planting should be fine, but it wont be as good as the first time, you can add abit of new soil if you want a better harvest, but the old soil will be fine if it's a good quality. Every dirt is different, so if your really not sure a total refeshment could work for every planting, just depends on how much time you have on your hands. This would be a good material to start a compost with too, so that would work if you don't have one yet. :wink:

- Lucia

LMcNair27

Thanks to both of you for the advice. I'll keep the compost idea in mind for when I actually get a yard. (Just doing window boxes on my balcony right now, since I live in an apartment.)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”