Lanaca
Newly Registered

green bugs on my basil

My lovely basil wich I 've had for about 8 months or so and am so so proud of, suddenly got some horrible tiny green bugs all over it's leaves and probably their eggs on branches.I am desperate for advice as do not have a clue about this things but wanna help to my plant.It lives in my kitchen in a big container together with some thyme(also affected),parsley and mint(untouched).Anyone with some advice please?

Grey
Greener Thumb

Are they beetles? Japanese beetles love basil, I've noticed.

Here's a photo of one:https://www.everythingabout.net/articles/biology/animals/arthropods/insects/beetles/japanese_beetle/

I spend my early mornings handpicking them off and squishing them (I drop them on the ground and stomp on them). They are slow-moving in the mornings and so are easy to get with a bare or gloved hand, they don't bite (or haven't bitten me yet).

Handpicking is the best control, pesticides don't work and using traps tends to draw in more of the darn things. There is a rumor about picking up the carcasses of what you kill because supposedly if you don't, the bodies give off a pheremone that draws in more of them. I haven't noticed this as being truth or not, sometimes I pick them up and other times I leave them.

Good luck!

Lanaca
Newly Registered

No it is not the beatle.They are much smaler,green and there are many of them on leaves.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”