dologarden

AVOCADO plant

Hi!! This avocado plant took 1 year to grow from start, no joke!! So now that it looks like it has life, I am trying to take the best care possible.

1. Why are the leaves going down (look unhappy and weak)? is this normal?
2. Where Should I place the avocado plant? Direct or Indirect sun?
3. How often should I water it?

Any tips will be highly appreciated.
Attachments
photo 4.JPG

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Dologaren - avocado trees prefer very sunny conditions. They do better outside than in. Full sun. If your winters do not get below 9 - 10 degrees C you can leave it outside. The soil should be just damp. Yellowing leaves indicate overwatering. Don't let it sit in water. Ditch the pot saucer or make sure it does not retain water. As you plant grows pinching the top 2 sets of leaves will encourage lateral branching. When given the right growing conditions they grow rapidly. Transplant annually in the spring. If you have the yard space and mild winters plant it in the yard when it gets about 3' tall.

An avocado tree can reach 40' in height.

Don't expect fruit that resembles the parent. Store bought avocados are hybrids. Your tree may or may not produce after 10 years or so but the fruit will not resemble the parent. It may or may not bee edible.

They are a fun and interesting plant to grow. If you have a very sunny window and keep it indoors it will outgrow your home in a few years. It is a tree. Start a new plant every couple of years so you can replace the plant when it gets too large.

Have fun.

imafan26
Mod

the leaves are soft because there is not enough light. Most of the tropical fruit trees are slow growers compared to other trees. They will grow faster in the ground than in a pot as the pot will actually dwarf a tree and avocadoes have very fine but extensive root systems.

dologarden

Thank you both!. I have now moved the plant to a sunny area. It was placed on full light before I moved it to indirect sun, but it seemed like it was too much sun, I am definitely a beginner!

applestar
Mod

Avocado will sun burn if moved too quickly into direct sunlight. Seedlings are naturally more tolerant of shade so make the move gradually by limiting the period of sun exposure at first. If trunk and/or leaf stems turn black that the sunburn. Leaves will develop bronzed sheen.

Indoors during winter, I use supplemental light on the room side of the trees. If the window is the only source, be sure to give the the pot a quarter-turn every few days.

applestar
Mod

Mine don't get such lovely containers, but I did uppot mine from the ones shown in this thread.

I'll post update photos soon. :D

dologarden

Thank you for the info. Love this forums!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”