Kprice52001
Newly Registered

Unknown worms HELP PLEASE!

Are these worms harmful if so what kills them and what are they?

I planted some "corn on deck" and the soil that was recommended to me was something high in nitrogen. Keep in mind I am stationed in Japan so communication at the home center is difficult at best. I think what was sold to me is compost. Last week I had an issue with what I think was root maggots and I applied a pesticide that again was recommended by the Japanese man at the home center and seemed to work out great. I germinated a few corn seeds and planted them yesterday today when I came home from work this is what I found sitting on top of the soil. I'm thinking that when I broke up the soil yesterday I released these guys and they are struggling from the pesticide that I applied earlier in the week but at least that's what I'm hoping.

Thank you for your help.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/21761414@ ... /lightbox/
Attachments
image.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm thinking you have two different critters there. The one near the bottom, right of center definitely looks like a pill bug/ sow bug/ wood louse. A number of the others pretty definitely look like black soldier fly larvae.

The good news is that both of those are very common in compost piles and both are detritovores, part of the process of breaking organic stuff down. They feed on dead organic stuff like you put in a compost pile and do not attack live plants.

Kprice52001
Newly Registered

THANK YOU! I was very worried. I don't have much experience with potting plants 99% of what I do is indoors in hydroponic so go the most part I am critter free. I'm on new turf here so thank you again

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”