roseycheeks
Green Thumb

soaking nasturiums

I decided to try to grow a Nasturtium seed, I filed it with a fingernail clipper and it is soaking as I type this, I will plant it in a container tomorrow and put it under the grow light with the others and see what happens, my Coleus plant is showing a little color and the ones in the window are getting tall, the others under the light not so tall. They don't have any color yet, but unfortunatly not enough room on the windowsill for all the plants! Wish me luck and if anyone has any hints or advice on how to get the seeds to grow quickly, by all means let me know. It is a Dwarf Alaska, so hopefully it will be a bush.

imafan26
Mod

Most nasturtiums are vines. I had Alaska series but haven't seen dwarf Alaska yet. Good luck with your seeds. Nasturtiums will grow for me in their own good time. They were planted in the herb garden about four years ago and they come up every year when the time is right. They like cool dry conditions. The seeds drop to the ground from the year before and stay dormant until they are ready.

catgrass
Green Thumb

I have never seen a nasturium vine-all mine (I have not grown a lot)have always been a bush type. But, mine never seem to get very big-I eat them too fast!

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

I have good news on my Nasturtiums, they are now 5 inches tall and doing great! They even have leaves coming on lower down on the stem, the thing I can't figure out is there is some kind of lump on a couple of them, it looks strange. Could that be somethng good? I don't know anything about them when they get bigger. I will try to get a picture of the lump and maybe you can tell me what it could be.
100_5230.JPG

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”