salilsurendran
Newly Registered

Need advice with houseplant containers & pots

Hello,
I have ordered some indoor house plants. I wanted to put them in some nice pots like this one

however, it doesn't have a drainage hole in it. So I am in a dilemma. I could buy something like this but it would be really tough to find a inner pot that would fit perfectly and I dislike the idea of a cheap plastic pot standing out of the ceramic pot. Can I try placing bags like these inside the pots so that water drains from the bag into the pot.

On the other hand I could buy something like this with a drainage hole

but would have an equally tough time finding a matching saucer that will prevent the water from dripping onto the carpet. Any suggestions?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The white cubes are nice looking if your house is (decorated in) somewhat modernist style. They are called "Plant Pot Decoration " so clearly they are meant to have an actual pot (with drainage holes) inside. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to find ordinary plastic nursery pots in smaller sizes to go inside of them. Just remember you also need to have pebbles or pot feet or something under the nursery pots so that they do not sit in the water that drains out. So it just means you have to go several sizes down. Plastic nursery pots come in all sizes from gallons to tiny. Check out

https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/category/containers

for a cheap on-line source of nursery pots.

Personally I don't much like the look of the fake rock one. Fake things usually end up looking fake. It seems like it would need a whole different décor style, much more rustic/country to incorporate the rock into. The décor style that would harmonize with the simple white cubes would be very different from the one that would harmonize with indoor rocks. And whatever rock illusion the pot managed to create would be totally destroyed by having a saucer under it.

I've never tried growing in bags, so can't say much about them, but off-hand it seems like it might be harder to keep the bag up out of the drained water.

imafan26
Mod

I agree with rainbow. It is nice to have a pretty cachepot in the house, but they are just the facade. Don't get lazy though and water plants in the cachepot. You don't want the bottom to stay wet. You could put some pebbles in the bottom of the outer pot just in case, but it would be better to take the plant out to water it outside or in a tub where you can also wash off the dust from the leaves.

When the weather is nice plants like to get as much air and light as possible without burning them.

White planters are nice, they fit in with most decors. I do prefer round pots to square ones especially in the house because I would find a way to hit the corners. I prefer pots that have straight sides vs the vase shape since they are more stable and don't fall over as easily.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

well, I don't know where salil is, but those of us who don't live in the tropics do not take our houseplants outside to water in the winter - freeze your buns off and kill your plants! I don't use cache pots, just saucers, but I probably would water in the pot. But that is more reason why you definitely need to have the pot elevated, not in the water, and don't over do the watering. I mist indoor plants daily for humidity and keeping dust off.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”