Honeykane
Newly Registered

Advice for Container Window Box - What Flowers?

I'm wondering if anyone could please give me some advice. I came across this group searching for help with regards to my container which is under a box bay window. I have had various plants in it over the years but nothing seems to look nice. It gets full sun from lunchtime on and is protected from other elements. I am hoping that my vision for it exists and you lovely people can advice on the names or type of plants suitable?

(I apologise in advance as I don't know the technical words for things!) -wall- I would like some plants that grow between 20-30cm tall and with a spread of around 20-30cm. I would like them to be able to stay out all year and perhaps flower at some point (ideally white flowers but can be others). Do such plants exist? I know I'm asking for rather a lot! :roll:

On another note, would lavender survive well in this type of environment? If so, what is the best one to get? We have lavender in our back garden but it seems to go a bit ‘woody’. Is there a way to stop this?

Many thanks in advance.

applestar
Mod

Tell us where you live and what the wintertime temperatures are like.

Need to know the size of the container, too. Is the container a hanging windowbox or on the ground?

Maybe tell us what plants you have already tried and why they didn't work out so we won't tell you to grow them and also give us an idea of what didn't work.

...more information you can give us, the better for solving a problem. :wink:

imafan26
Mod

Window boxes can be challenging. How are you watering them and does the window box have a drain?

Most plants will not be in bloom all year, so it might be better to put plants in pots and put the pots in the window box and change them out or use plants with interesting and colorful foliage. Even plants that bloom longer will still need some trimming and sometimes dead heading.

Honeykane
Newly Registered

Thank you for responding. It is under the bay window so sits on the ground but in full sun in the afternoon. It is about 1.5m long by about 40cm wide so isn't big.

We are in Wiltshire so winter can go down to -10c at it's lowest and summer to 25-30c (if we're lucky!).

It's watered by us using a watering can or hose and does have drainage.

I know I won't get plants that flower all year but something that has nice foliage and maybe flowers at some point. Or nice coloured foliage would work.

applestar
Mod

Thanks for posting the details. OK immediate thought a I had was muscari (grape hyacinth) They are usually blue/purple, but they do also come in white, and you could plant the bulbs this fall to enjoy the flowers in spring. Muscari are winter hardy and drought tolerant, handles hot summer locations and will come back year after year.

I'm thinking combination of the muscari bulbs under something else.

I'll post when I think of possible suggestions for the other plant(s).

...well Heuchera could be a possibility. Low growing except for the tiny blossoms on long slender stalks. Great foliage color in wild combinations.... But will think on it some more.

Honeykane
Newly Registered

Much appreciated, thank you

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”