Meme
Cool Member

Fuchsia's

The Fuchsia's have grown very well this year, an abundance of flowers there has been, still some in flower now, and lots of buds due to open.

applestar
Mod

I have two Fuchsia 'Gartenmeister Bonstedt' plants. 2nd one was propagated from cuttings. I originally bought it because I thought the hummingbirds would like it, and they do! :D

Ever since I read that you can eat fuchsia berries, I've been eyeing the berries on this one, but haven't tried yet. F. spledens is supposed to be best for eating, and this is a F. triphylla.

I've been looking, but I have yet to find F. splendens plant to purchase. Apparently seeds must be very fresh to germinate, so I've been hesitant to buy seeds.

Meme
Cool Member

How lovely you have the hummingbirds come to visit your fuchsia's. I saw several on a video link, not too long ago. Such beautiful birds for sure.

That is interesting to know the berries can be eaten. Maybe you try a sample first :lol: and then let me know how they taste. :D

imafan26
Mod

Fuchsia is my favorite plant, but all of mine died and I don't have any right now. But, I plan to replace them again someday.

Meme
Cool Member

Such a shame your Fuchsia's died off imafan, more so as your favourite plant. I will take some cuttings from mine as soon as I can, the more the merrier.

applestar
Mod

Here it is :D. I did uppot the smaller one. I need to get the bigger one repotted with fresh potting mix.
image.jpg

Meme
Cool Member

Wow, so pretty it looks applestar, and so many flowers on it. :D I really like the colour.

applestar
Mod

Has anyone ever tried air-layering a woody fuchsia stem?

This one stem (and another one) got so tall with most of the leaves at the top, but they are blooming beautifully, so I decided to try air layering one. I know this fuchsia roots pretty easily from semi woody cuttings so hopefully this will work, too. :bouncey:
image.jpg
(Fuchsia 'Gartenmeister Bonstedt')

Here's how it looks from the top (LOVE the foliage colors) and the flowers:
image.jpg

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”