ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Bringing Back Hanging Baskets

Hello, a couple months ago I bought 2 beautiful hanging baskets. One with a trailing petunia, and one with 2 types of calibrachoa. They stopped blooming and looks horrible so I sheared off the old flowers, as many as I could, and gave them fish emulsion and compost tea. This was 3+ weeks ago and they look worse. They are very rootbound and I did not water them often enough :oops: Should I just water them more often and fertilize them or should I replace the plants?

applestar
Mod

Re: Bringing Back Hanging Baskets

I think when they are pot bound, the best thing to do is to pop the entire rootball out, cut the root ball apart like a cake separating the (usually multiple) plants -- I use an old cheap serrated Chef's Knife -- carefully untangling the plants.

Then pot up something like 1/2 to 2/3 of the original with fresh potting mix. I would loosen the roots a little bit first. Plant the "extra piece(s) of cake" in another container.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Re: Bringing Back Hanging Baskets

I looked at them further and decided that there was no way I was going to get one of them back. It just got to drought stressed so I dumped it out and refilled it with good quality potting soil and 3 calibrachoas.

I had some soil moist granules that I have had for years that I decided to throw in there. I generally don't ever use them but I decided it might be worth trying it. We will see how these new ones do.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”