troubled
Newly Registered

Sweet pea problem

I have sweet peas growing in a pot. They are up to about 4ft tall now and are just starting to flower. I keep them well watered and feed them from time to time. The leaves at the bottom are turning yellow/white in colour. I wonder if anybody can advise me why this is happening. I am in the north west UK

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Is it hot where you are? They do well in cooler weather. When it gets too warm the just kinda dry up.

troubled
Newly Registered

Hello Lindsaylew82
Thanks for you quick reply. It has been around 20 cent. And they are close to a fence it may be a bit of a sun trap. The same thing happened last year. May be I need to find a cooler place for next season. What do you think is a good freed for them?

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

What do you think is a good freed for them?
Huh? Did you mean feed? If so, compost is great plant food! If you can't make your own, you can buy it. Compost Tea is fast acting well balanced plant food. Also, if you need a different fast acting nitrogen source, fish emulsion works well, and so does blood meal. ( They both tend to gross me out, though. My mom is also vegetarian for ethical reasons. She comes over to pick what she wants, but won't if I use animal products.)

Peas are usually one of the first seeds in the ground in spring where I live. They aren't stunted by cold temps. 20 degrees C there is roughly 70 degrees here. I think that's the BEST temperature EVER for me, but it's getting warm for peas.

Did you get a nice crop from them already? If so, they may just be spent! You could try to grow another round in a shady spot, but as temps rise, they tend to peter out. If not, wait until fall brings cooler temps and try to plant again. At my house, they've been hardy even with light frosts!

troubled
Newly Registered

Hello Lindsay. Yet another quick reply from you. The sweet peas were planted up from small seedlings that are available here around April in all the plant nurseries, very cheap. April is the planting time outside in the UK. Any month before, you can still get frosty days. My sweet peas were planted in growing compost that had some feed already added. I am always being told to feed the plants every two weeks during the growing season but has not helped. I have had some flowers but the crop was nothing special. They must be on there way out now so as you suggest I will pick a cooler spot next year. Thanks again for your advice.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

You're welcome! Try again in the fall. Just get some seeds and plant them directly in the soil when the weather starts cooling.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”