eckokitten
Newly Registered

New to Gardening - Indoor Flowers or Veggies?

I am completely new to gardening. I have no clue about any of it. I have had a few houseplants in my life & I have killed all of them :( I tend to over water or underwater. I am just really bad at figuring out how much water to give them. The only plants I have had any luck with are orchids which my husband got me & I just had to add ice to them once a week.

I really love to get into gardening. Grow some flowers & veggies. I live in an apartment with no deck or porch area. So I am looking for indoor container growing.

I also have cats & a dog & don't want to grow anything that will poison them if they happen to get into it.

I am looking for some advice.

Is there a good way to tell how much water I should give plants? I don't want to kill them :(
What are some good veggies/flowers that I can grow indoors that are not too difficult and also not poisonous to pets?
What is a basic list of supplies I would need to get started?

Thanks!

webmaster
Site Admin

Hi,
Welcome to the forum. :)

I'm certain that someone will make specific suggestions for you (I edited your title to be more specific so at to attract better responses). I had success growing Spider Plants indoors, they really brightened up my apartment when I lived in San Francisco.

Most vegetables and flowers need sunlight to grow. Many herbs and some veggies can get by with partial sun. However the more sun you can give them the more things you'll be able to grow. Another thing about plants that is important to understand is that they want to be outdoors because that's their natural habitat, just as fish do best in water.

An option to consider is a flower box that can be hung outside a window. Do you have access to your rooftop? It may be possible to build a raised bed vegetable garden on the rooftop. I used to have potted plants in the house but also on the fire escape (but you may wish to observe any applicable fire codes before doing something like that, should you have a fire escape).

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”