Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

Made some Hanging Baskets and a Planter

Hey all! Thought I'd share with you my containers I recently made up! I grew all these flowers from seed, and over the last little while I've been hardening them off. With a little help I transplanted some of my HUGE Nasturtiums, a Viola and Chamomile into my first hanging basket. The next ones were super simple after doing the first one! I planted some Marigolds, and Chamomile also a few Violas that haven't bloomed yet in them. I still have more to do but that's it for the seedlings so far!

Today I was more adventurous and transplanted some of my bigger flowers into a big planter. At first they were a little shocked as I may have disturbed the roots a bit..but now they seem to be doing great and tomorrow I will be putting them outside to get a bit of sunshine!

Enjoy the photos!
Attachments
Hanging_Baskets_Tomato_Pepper_Small.jpg
Here you can see the rest of my hanging baskets I made yesterday, also a Tomato and Ghost Pepper!
Here you can see the rest of my hanging baskets I made yesterday, also a Tomato and Ghost Pepper!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I applaud your idea and your effort. Unfortunately you have over crowded your hanging baskets. They look like 10" - 12" baskets. You could grow 1 cherry tomato in a basket. 1 cucumber plant. 1 nasturtium, 1 basil, 1 dill. Get the drift? Your baskets are much too small for companion planting. Even if you only plant 1 plant per basket - herbs or vegetables - you would be better off using a 14" - 16" basket. If you want to make pretty, companion planted baskets use annual flowers with similar growing conditions and be prepared to water them an feed them frequently.

So sorry :oops: your baskets are just not suitable for companion planting herbs and vegetables.

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

These are flowers in here not vegetables. But it's my first year so we will see how it goes :-() Thanks for your comments!

imafan26
Mod

They look lovely. Are they self watering baskets? I usually don't fill my baskets all the way to the top with soil. It is easier to water them without the dirt coming out the first few times if I leave a little lip on the pot and I moisten the soil before I pot up anything so the plants don't float up when they are watered. Peat moss can be hard to wet when it is dry.

I do mixed planting in large pots, but I haven't had as much success in hanging baskets. Usually one plant becomes dominant and if the other plant is slow, then it gets run over. I think it kind of depends on how big the container is and how aggressive the other plants are.

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

Thank you for the advice and complements! They are not self watering baskets no..and are filled with soil mix and compost, also a little bit of fertilizer. I understand what you are saying about the stronger plants winning over the space. We've seen that first hand last year with some of our vegetables in our raised bed. Our Zucchinis over took pretty much the whole bed. They were giant Zucchinis too! We had so many we didn't know what to do with them :) I made a lot of cakes, and we had a lot of salads :) Gave a lot away too! Anyways back to the hanging baskets, I will just have to see what combinations work and what ones don't. Have to transplant them all soon, I don't want them to get root bound in the SOLO cups! I have put more flowers into some rather large containers, will see how they do. I will post a photo of the planter I did yesterday also a picture of the hanging baskets..this will be their second day since I planted them.
Attachments
Here is the planter I did yesterday and put outside this morning. There is Foxgloves and Snap Dragons in it..
Here is the planter I did yesterday and put outside this morning. There is Foxgloves and Snap Dragons in it..
Here is a photo of our Rhodo and the hanging baskets I did yesterday..They are Chamomile, Marigolds, Viola and Lemon Balm
Here is a photo of our Rhodo and the hanging baskets I did yesterday..They are Chamomile, Marigolds, Viola and Lemon Balm

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”