vedanta

How to Transplant Lilies?

I've added yet another plant to my collection. It's a lily; dunno what kind it is though except that it's orange and double layered. Anyway, this post is really to inquire about transplanting the lily into another container. I've checked online but I cant seem to find what I'm looking for. the container in which I bought the lily in has multiple shoots but I'm not sure if they're smaller plants or just part of the mother plant. To be honest I don't want to interfere with the plant unless I'm sure of what I'm doing; so can anyone help? Thanks!!

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Hi Vendanta, Welcome, Lilies, Hyacinth and such do produce little ones, new blubs. Your weather there in Trinidad and Togago is like summer year round compared to where many of us live. Sure pick a nice, larger pot, bowl, basket or pan, something you like that has a drain hole or holes, fill it with good soil, something not too heavy that will keep its moisture. Plant them the same depth as they are now. The soil can be damp but not wet. You can seperate the babies, bulbs if you like, put them in the yard.

Your humidity there is close to 60% a good deal of the time so let the soil get very close to dry before watering. Enjoy them, show us a picture or two if you've time.

Richard

vedanta

Thanks for the info but how do you know if the smaller lily plants are ready for transplanting? also will they be able to survive replanting without drying up? also the lily I bought still had its bulb exposed; should I cover it up when replanting?

valley
Greener Thumb

Vedenta, Re: The plant you bought, you said you wanted to replant it, I'm sure you'll choose a larger pot, I'd bury them a little deeper, If you were planting them in the yard, before they sprouted, 4" to 6" deep, but in a new pot just I would just cover up the bulb.
The pups have staves, leaves, when transplanting to a new pot, carefully seperate them from the main bulbs, wiggle them loose, and plant them, they won't dry if watered especially in your climate, or wait until the first of the year, if you want. Your coolest temperature, January, February, are around 20%c to 26%c with daytime temperatures around 30%c and higher Lilies won't have the dormant period like we have in the states. If I'm incorrect about this please let me know.

Let us know what you do, pictures make us smile so if you've time please post some. Look for your reply. Thanks

Richard

valley
Greener Thumb

Vedante, Talked to a lady from Venezuela, climate should be similar, she leaves her bulbs in the ground or pot unless they get over crowded. Some lilies from colder climates don't do well, except in the house. Some bulbs, after seperating, she allows to dry for a few day before planting. She has no trouble moving them from pot to pot.

Richard

Miranda Venezuela exports a huge amount of Lilies, I'm guessing that may be the origin of your beauties.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Vendanta - welcome to the forum

Several years ago I purchased some Easter Lilies right after Easter for 25 cents per pot. I choose pots with multiple bloom stems because that meant multiple bulb. before transplanting I allowed the blooms to fade and the bloom stems to completely dry out. The bloom stem helps nourish the bulbs for the next bloom. Once the bloom stems were dry I cut them off and removed the bulbs from the pots. Each pot had several bulbs. Gently separate the bulbs. I ended up with 30+ bulbs. I planted them in bowls 24" across and 7 1/2" deep. All purpose potting soil leaving an inch from the top of the pot. I divided the bulbs between 3 bowls. When I planted the bulbs I left just the tip of the bulb exposed.

I have had a beautiful display of lilies every spring. It is time for me to divide the bulbs again - the bowls are getting crowded. I will keep a few in the bowls and put the rest in the garden - after the bloom stems dry up.

In south Louisiana we have hot, humid summers. My bowls are on the patio where they get morning sun, dappled mid day sun and afternoon shade.

Most winters are very mild with few if any hard freezes - except this past winter. We had multiple ice storms and hard freezes. I left my lilies out and they did just fine. The only adverse reaction has been a delayed bloom. The plants are full of buds but have not yet bloomed.

Good luck

BTW - make sure the new pots have good drainage.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”