Caroline63
Newly Registered

Another confused Peace Lily owner...

:roll:
Direct Sun doesn't reach him
Direct Sun doesn't reach him
I've had my plant for probably close to two years now & until recently it seemed happy.
We have him situated about 6 foot from a north facing patio door but tucked behind the end of the TV unit. It's a light room but he's out of direct light and draught free.
Watering is generally on a weekly basis..sometimes every 5 days in summer if he shows signs of thirst. I pour water from the top & let him drink from the sink for 10 mins then let him drain off before going back in his ceramic pot. He has new leaves growing & puts out the odd flower.

He has started to look a little sad though. Brown leaf tips but also some yellowing in the centre of the leaf.
The lower small leaves always seem limp , yellowy & curly and the stems are yellow at soil level. The soil was also low but the roots don't appear particularly root bound. They are very fine roots.

I can't imagine what has changed for him make him look less happy..unless he is in need of a good feed ?

Input appreciated !
Attachments
Pathetic looking lower leaves
Pathetic looking lower leaves
Pale at bottom
Pale at bottom
image.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You said you have had it for two years. Have you ever changed the soil? The soil in containers breaks down after awhile, which makes it depleted of nutrients and tending to pack down more. If you haven't repotted, I would slide the whole thing out of the pot, gently wash all the old soil out of the roots and pot again in fresh potting soil. If the pot is too full, this would be a good time to divide your lily, but if you do that, you might need to put it in two smaller pots. It doesn't like being in a pot that is a whole lot bigger than the plant, just maybe an extra inch around the edge. If you have a whole lot of extra soil, it holds too much water.

You said maybe it needs a feed. You haven't been fertilizing? Plants in containers need fertilizing at least a few times in a growing season (not in the winter). If you put in fresh soil with Miracle Gro, then you won't need to fertilize for awhile.

Caroline63
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply. The pot still seems to have space...I don't think it looks cramped. ButI'll try a repot up one size anyway & go get him some feed. Hopefully he will be back to normal soon!
I must admit to being a lazy plant person. ...either totally neglect them or kill them with overwatering. This has been my successful plant lol
Thanks again
C.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The issue is not so much pot size as dead, deteriorated soil. If the soil has not been changed in two years, it needs to be replaced with fresh soil, even if the plant stays in the same pot. It only needs about an inch of space between the plant and the sides.

imafan26
Mod

The leaves look dark even for a peach lily. I think it could use a little more light as well as some new potting soil. It is growing kind of twisted like it is trying to find the light.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”