jenga21
Newly Registered

seeds rise to the top of my pot. Help?

Hello,

I am brand new to container gardening and just planted my seeds a little over a week ago: bush beans, peppers, herbs, etc.

I planted my seeds the proper depth in the soil. I water my seeds around every other day and they get plenty of light. My problem is that when I go out to check on them, most of them have risen to the top and are no longer covered by soil. They are just sitting on top of the soil. I keep pushing them down, but they keep coming back up.

Anyone have any idea what's causing this? Could I be over-watering? Thanks for any insight you can offer me.

applestar
Mod

One possibility is that you soil mix is not sufficiently dampened and the peat-rich mix is repelling the water. Is it dusty rather than damp?

In any case, it's better to water seed flats from the bottom.

Other possibility is that they ARE actually trying to grow and are pushing their way up but you keep pushing them down. Seeds grow roots that grow down and push the seed husks up until the seed leaves free themselves out of the husks. Normally a little loop of the hypocotyl stem appears above the soil and the husks are left in the ground, but not always.

Maybe show us some photos.

jenga21
Newly Registered

I do notice that when I go to water the soil, it is dry and dusty. The second option is very possible. Thank you and if the seeds pop up again, I will take photos and post them.

imafan26
Mod

Before you plant your seeds it is a good idea to mix your media with water in a bucket first to make sure it is evenly dampened before filling your pots. It doesn't have to be soggy but evenly moist.

Make sure you plant your seeds at the recommended depth and press down gently to seat the seed in the soil.

Water gently with a watering can or watering rose. I like a fan spray, it rarely knocks over pots or bottom water until the seeds sprouts and the roots are able to hold the plant in place.

Sometimes with very tiny seeds that I don't cover, I will press them into the soil and put a paper towel over the seeds and water over the paper towel just keeping it damp. I will then check under the paper towel after about a week and when I see sprouts, I will gently lift the towel and bottom water or gently top water until the seedlings are strong enough to take regular watering.

jenga21
Newly Registered

I was definitely watering too quickly and will water more gently. Thanks so much!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”