ButterflyGarden

How to Revive My Container Garden

So I've been away for a while. I've been having a hard pregnancy and have spent the last 6 weeks in the hospital. I'm about to give birth to a preemie and will probably spend most of spring in the NICU instead of my garden. My husband tried, but all my plants have died (at least he kept the kids alive :) ).

So, I am planing to resurrect my container garden when things calm down. I don't expect to be able to do so until June. I only have a little sun, so I am pretty limited, mostly herbs. Any suggestions? I must have basil, and can usually get chilli peppers to grow (I have one spot with more sun) but I was thinking of maybe forgoing them (the peppers) this year.

applestar
Mod

...maybe bush beans... What else? Strawberries? One of the summer spinach subs like Swiss chard or NZ spinach maybe?

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Best of health with the little one. Aust yezu parin. When you and the baby are well, then we'll think about the garden. God be with you.

Richard

ButterflyGarden

valley wrote:Best of health with the little one. Aust yezu parin. When you and the baby are well, then we'll think about the garden. God be with you.

Richard
Thank you! I was kind of hoping to use garden planing as a distraction, something entirely positive and relaxing to think about for a little bit, even if I will not get to it for a while.

Oh, by the way, June is a fairly warm here already (average temps in the low 80's). I'm guessing I'll have to start with plants at that point as opposed to seeds.

Do you think I could get green garlic to grow then or is it too late? I'd be planting from cloves for the green garlic only since I don't have enough room for whole garlic to grow.

imafan26
Mod

Well since you will be busy and containers need more attention than in ground plants and hubby sounds sweet but a black thumb. See if he is a better plumber and have him install a drip system for your containers and a timer on a faucet so they won't need daily attention

I suggest plants that can take care of themselves for the most part as long as water is available and starter fertilizer

Stevia
parsley
sage
thyme
bay leaf
kale
green onions
rosemary
oregano
marjoram
tabasco peppers

I picked these because they are either perennial or biennial and are pretty long lived but do not outgrow containers that quickly

Mints have to be planted in a large container and need to be divided when they look really full. Mints are easy to grow but need to be repotted often and cannot be allowed to escape.

ButterflyGarden

We actually have a drip system, but he turned it off when it rained and didn't turn it back on. :?

parsley
green onions
rosemary
tabasco peppers

I do use a lot of these. That might be a good idea.

We did mint before but it died when my neighbor's daughter dug it up. I might try that again (the mint, not watching my neighbor's daughter :wink: ).

I had jasmine that I loved, I may try to replace that and I was thinking about replacing the chives.

Would kale do well in the heat? It gets very hot here in the summer.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”