Christine_P
Newly Registered

What to plant on roof deck in Zone 6

Hello!

I live in a condo building in northern NJ (just outside of NYC). I have a large roof deck with a variety of evergreen plants. Last year was my first attempt at gardening, and I planted some herbs and flowers (moonflowers, morning glories, basil, strawberries, etc.) with mixed success.

I would like to add a small tree or a tall plant of some sort in a large pot I have, and would like to plant more flowers and herbs this spring. Does anyone have any ideas on a tree or tall plant that is easy to care for? I could bring indoors in the winter if necessary.

Also, I would love some ideas on edible plants or flowers that do really well in container gardens in zone 6. Especially those that could be planted together, as last year I made the mistake of only planting 1 type of flower per pot, which didn't look the most interesting… Would also appreciate recommendations on when to plant, as I always want to plant things at the first hint of spring weather.

Thank you for any ideas!
Christine

applestar
Mod

What kind of sun exposure does the deck get and is there more on one side, etc, less on the other?

Is it windy and hot? Does the soil dry out quickly? How are you watering?

Last year, I found powwow's thread very inspiring:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =8&t=55321
I've also made a thread called Container Gallery a sticky at the top of this forum.

Christine_P
Newly Registered

Thank you, applestar. I will take a look at the thread you recommend!

My roof is on the 5th floor, so it does get a little wind. I have a hose up there, so that is how I am watering. Finally, there is full sun, and it is pretty much full sun all day.

Thank you!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”