jessjasjam

No new leaves

My plants have looked like this for almost two weeks now... is this normal? they seem pretty spindly and aren't getting any leaves.

I have them in my south-facing kitchen unless it is warm emough (over 65) to put them in the sun porch. Both are on the south side of the building, and I'm in Kansas City MO.
Attachments
photo 5.JPG
photo 4.JPG

imafan26
Mod

What are they and when did you plant them? It would help if you could get a light directly over them so they don't end up leaning toward the window. Otherwise you need to turn the pots more.

jessjasjam

The first picture with the big pot is bush beans. The second is chard and spinach. I'm turning the pots twice daily, they really lean.

imafan26
Mod

I have a similar problem. When my orchids bloom, I cannot change their position or move them or the buds will turn and the spray will have flowers facing in weird directions and some of the flowers will even bloom upside down.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

They are spindly and leaning toward the light because they are not getting nearly enough light. You have two choices: put a fluorescent light right over them, just a couple inches away and leave it on 16 hrs a day or get them outside. The spinach and chard, once hardened off, are very cold hardy and frost tolerant and it is probably about time for you to be planting them outside anyway. Beans are NOT frost tolerant and probably need to wait longer.

jessjasjam

I moved them outside yesterday and kept them in the sunporch for the night. A few flopped over but I think (hope) more light will save them!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”