tenderloingardener
Cool Member

Datura metel (Devil's Trumpet) in containers?

I'm aware that this is a poisonous plant. Plenty of plants are poisonous and beautiful. No one can get to it who isn't an adult human. My spouse and myself- and I'm the only one brave (and stupid) enough to walk on the 13" ledge 2 stories up. Including the cat.

What I want to know is if the plant in a container can be kept down in size yet still bloom.

This would be for next season if I try it- but if it must reach a height exceeding more than 3' high and 1.5' wide to bloom it's not going to be a success.

I read 5 different growing instruction pages and while it's clear that this can plant can be grown in a large container, not one page addressed this question.

So, once again I turn to the best gardening forum on the web... :mrgreen:

Thanks!
Blue are the life giving waters taken for granted-they quietly understand.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

My answer is: Yes, Where will you get the plant, from seed? It grows wild in the country side all around where you live.

Richard

tenderloingardener
Cool Member

Thank you! It didn't even occur to me to check the USDA- I should use that more often. I was planning on ordering seed.
Even so, I have littłe access to the country side- I know it's totally nuts for an American, but I have never had a driver's license. Nope, no car. I'm not even well aquatinted enough with anyone who owns a car to ask that kind of favor of.

I wonder if I could find it around Muir Woods. I think I can get public transport close enough for a hike.

Thanks for the info. No matter how I wind up procuring seeds, at least I know it's possible.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”