rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Overwintered Lemon Grass - Will it Last?

Just thought I'd check in about my lemon grass. Last year was my first time growing it. It is in a big container that I brought in for the winter. It doesn't seem to be doing very well. It is in my best corner, with windows on two sides (one is a big picture window) AND a lamp shining on it from just a few inches away. It gets misted every day and watered when it is getting dry ( a bit more often than some of my indoor plants).

But it is not growing and some of the existing leaves (or whatever you call those things like big grass blades) are bending over, not like limp wilting, but angular bends. At this point it is starting to seem like a bit of a race, whether it will last long enough to go back outside in the spring.

Any thoughts about what it needs?

Susan W
Greener Thumb

It doesn't need anything but a rest. It can even be stuck in a lower light, cooler temp for the winter months. Most of mine still have green. When time to move out (after frost) I may just cut the blades back, if not just in a couple of weeks. If you have a kitty, a lemon grass blade whole or tied in bundle is better than catnip. Early spring is a good time to divide. That needs done outside with heavy duty implements as the roots are tough to break apart! I don't pamper the plants brought in. Light, whatever. Water, when I do the other plants.

One of my fellow market vendors grows lemon grass in the ground (they are SE Asian). They mulch heavily. I'll be curious to see if the plants made it this winter.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

OK, thanks so much Susan. I will cut it back some more and quit pampering it so much! :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”