sungirl

Help with Petunias

I just noticed the leaves on one of my petunias seem to be turning a dark purplish colour from the outer edge towards the center of the leaves - the larger the leaf the larger the blotch. It's new to me. I haven't seen this before on any plant - especially this colour - as I write the yellowish/brown spots on roses is coming to mind but these leaves still look healthy unlike those spots on roses - these blotches actually look like they may just be the way the plant is supposed to be though I haven't seen anything like this before. Can anyone help identify what is going on here based on my description - :?:
Thank-you.

Jess
Greener Thumb

Sounds like a phosphorous deficiency.

"the larger the leaf the larger the blotch" It affects older leaves first. Is this the case?

Are they in pots or in the ground? What are you feeding if anything?

Showing signs of deficiency isn't necessarily a deficiency of one particular nutrient. Overfeeding can cause an imbalance or feeding too much of one can cause deficiency of another. Sounds complicated I know but it is normally easily remedied.

sungirl

Thanks Jess. All 3 are in containers and I have just been watering them - no fertilizer yet. They all look vibrant and healthy including the one plant with the purple growing - it almost seems as though it is growing within the leaves themselves - as though something brushed against it - no consistent pattern. The colour is a darker version of the deep fuschia coloured flowers. It is not on all the leaves appearing quite randomly on the stems of this one healthy looking plant.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”