roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Calla Lilies and Amaryllis

I was given 3 calla lilies and they were beautiful, I am trying to regrow them, I gave them a resting period, repotted them one in one pot and the other two in another pot. I repotted them on 12-1-13, and there is nothing showing. Am I jumping the gun too quick? I would like to be able to grow these beautiful flowers inside during the winter, because according to the weather channel, there is one heck of a storm coming and I would like something to brighten up those dreary winter days. My new Amaryllis seems to be stalled, it has not grown very much and I have had it since Black Friday, and it has greened up but it has not grown much. Any ideas? Here is a picture of Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.usit.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Patience, patience. Black Friday was five days ago. How much growth did you expect in five days?

It would REALLY help if you would amend your profile to show where you are. I have asked before. Really no one will be able to track you down by knowing your screen name and that you are in Indiana or where ever!

I did go back through your posts and figured out that you are in zone 6 like me.

Usually callas are dormant through the winter and then restart light and water etc for it to start growing in spring.

applestar
Mod

Amaryllis will probably grow some roots before bursting into growth.

imafan26
Mod

If the amaryllis bulbs are big enough they will bloom even without leaves. It is actually one way to force bloom at a particular time.

In Hawaii amaryllis are perennial bulbs. I only have to dig them up every three or four years add more compost and fertilizer, replant them and separate the smaller bulbs so they will have room to grow and theyr are good to go. Only the largest bulbs will bloom. Smaller bulbs have to size up. If I want the bulbs to bloom at a certain time, I can cut all the leaves off the biggest bulbs and feed them. The bulb will bloom even though there are no leaves showing.

If you have potted up the amaryllis make sure it gets lots of light and don't over water.

https://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/growing- ... l?mobile=1

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”