Lola2
Newly Registered

Dying plants - Cowbwebs with orange dots

Hi, this is my first time on the site and I am looking for some help. I have alot of potted plants in my conservatory and I noticed that I have a fine cobweb that has orange dots in it develoing on my plants. It started on my Busy Lizzie and it envelops the leaves and flowers and they die. There are also what look like water droplets on the leaves except they are hard and sticky. I don't know if these 2 are related or not. The problem is that the cobweb has spread to my roses, chillies and parrot plant. Does anyone know what this is and how to treat it before it kills them all.

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi Lola :D

Sounds like spider mite. Any chance of getting them all outside especially if it is raining. Firstly their natural predators would be able to get at them which they cannot do in your conservatory. Secondly spider mite hate getting wet. Whilst they are outside wash any trays etc. that they stand in/on.
Spider mite are extremely difficult to get rid of in an enclosed environment. Try getting your plants outside as much as possible and keep the conservatory as clean and free of any plant litter as you can. Encourage spiders, if you dare, to come in to your conservatory too.

Lola2
Newly Registered

Hi Jess,
Thanks a million. The plants are currently outside and I am hoping for the best!
Lola2

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”