ken14445
Newly Registered

Please help with sick Geranium.

Hi everyone,
I have a special Geranium that I want to try to save. It used to be quite spindly so I cut it back and what little leaves that were left have now become brown and shriveled. It's September in NY and I don't know how to save it. Any suggestions are appreciated. Around the same time I cut it I also put it in a slightly bigger pot and used miracle grow potting mix. and that was a few months ago. It never seemed to pick up much since messing with it. It's been a few weeks since it's gotten watered and the soil is not wet. It looks like it need some real CPR. Otherwise I'd chance watering it now and see what happens. There is just no real green in any of the leaves. Any advice is appreciated. I'll try to attach a picture.
Thanks,
Ken in NY just south of Lake Ontario
Attachments
P1310185.jpg
P1310185.jpg (24.84 KiB) Viewed 2240 times

imafan26
Mod

If the stem is soft, it may be rotting. Hard to save. Geraniums don't like to get too much water.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

yup, sorry, but it looks dead..

applestar
Mod

If you used MG moisture control, that may have kept the soil too damp all the time.
If the plant is indoors, it may not have had sufficient sunlight.

The shriveled stem looks like a goner. Soft stems is bad sign and if when cut and the cut is black inside, that part can't be saved.

Start cutting lower from that point on, disinfecting the pruners by either dipping the pruners in bleach water or spraying with alcohol before each cut. If you can get to stem that's still solid green, then there is a ***very slight*** chance it can be saved. If it's black and mushy all the way to the soil level, then it's unfortunately beyond help, but you've done all you can. :(

We'll be happy to help with how to care for the next geranium you get. :wink:

ken14445
Newly Registered

Thanks for your replies. So I should start cutting back from the ends looking for green stem. If I reach such a great find, then what would I do? How would I tell if it is just too dry? It has been weeks since it's been watered. Would it be worth taking it out of the dirt and putting it in a glass of water? Is there a way to know whether it has had too much or not enough moisture? The soil is not moisture control. I believe it's just miracle grow potting soil. I'm not sure what the roots look like. I know it doesn't look good but thanks.
Ken

applestar
Mod

No don't put it in water. Geranium is not good candidate for water propagation.
I would first find out if it can be saved, but if it hasn't been watered at all and the soil mix is completely dried out, And if this is peat-based MG then it's going to take some work to get the potting mix rehydrated.

To test, first try just hefting the pot. Does it feel light? Another test is to poke your finger in the soil -- is the soil loose or hard and brittle? Do you feel any moisture when you push your finger in to the first knuckle? 2nd knuckle?

ken14445
Newly Registered

Hi Roger,

Well there IS moisture. I felt the soil and it was very loose and airy on top. I decided to see what would happen if I took it out of the pot and the soil beneath the very top layer of loose stuff is spongy and partially crumbly. I can actually see and feel moisture in the lower half toward the bottom. I can wiggle the plant slightly in the soil which tells me the root structure isn't very robust but there are some fine roots apparently that made it through the soil. I will try to attach my photos. I haven't cut the stem yet.
Thanks,
Ken
Attachments
P1310188 - Copy.JPG
P1310187 - Copy.JPG
P1310187 - Copy.JPG (56.55 KiB) Viewed 2206 times

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It continues to look dead - the base of the stem visible in the bottom picture looks black and rotted.

The question is why. The fact that there was ANY moisture in the soil after not being watered for "weeks" says that the soil was holding too much moisture/ not draining well enough. The pot you had it in does have drainage holes, right? (Just checking, sometimes people do forget that.)

Assuming yes, check the drainage holes to be sure they didn't get clogged up. Never leave it sitting in water in a catchment saucer. If it really isn't the moisture control kind of potting soil, then next time try mixing some cactus mix in with your potting soil and/or extra perlite, to be sure the soil stays loose and free draining.

ken14445
Newly Registered

Thanks Roger for the education. I'll definitely apply it to my future geranium friends!
Ken

imafan26
Mod

Your pot might not have had enough drain holes in it. For plants that do not need a lot of water, I would use a cactus mix or if you make your own. 60% perlite or sand and 40 % peat. Do not use compost mix with cactus. It just holds too much water. I use clay not plastic pots because they breathe better.

I have a heavy hand when it comes to watering, so the mix above can be watered daily when the plant is outside where it is exposed to good air circulation.

My potted geraniums need to be watered every 3-4 days. I have actually killed them by not watering enough. The geraniums in the ground, I rarely water.

ken14445
Newly Registered

Well, I had to let it go. There was no viable material in the stems and there was still moisture(probably too much) closer to the roots.Next time I will definitely reconsider my soil choice and keep mindful of the pot placement/environment.
Thanks for your time in responding.
Ken

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”