robi0323
Newly Registered

Beginner planter, white tips and edge on new jasmine

Okay, I've bought a cestrum nocturnum (night blooming jasmine) plant from over the internet. I'm quite new to planting but would like to bring nature to my balcony and to my apartment...with this plant as an addition as it's been infamous, apparently, for emanating a strong fragrance. However, as it's cool here, at the moment, I've put it indoors by the window sill as I believe, according to the net, these plants need lots of sun and warmth. However, over the course of the week, I've noticed edges turning color...to white. Also, the top leaves were curling. Is there anything I can do to save this plant because I don't want to throw it away. This plant is hard to come by here in the Netherlands so I want to do everything to save it. The soil I'm currently using is regular soil from the garden store with a 14-16-18 NPK mix. By the way, I have not used any fertilizers; just watered it from the tap. Netherlands is in zone 8 so it's pretty cold in the winter with warm summers. I plan to have it on the balcony of course during the summer and indoors in the winter. Any tips is very much appreciated! Hope to hear from you soon.

Ray
Attachments
IMG_2686.JPG
IMG_2686.JPG (34.55 KiB) Viewed 994 times
IMG_2685.JPG
Pic one
Pic one
IMG_2684.JPG (30.25 KiB) Viewed 994 times

applestar
Mod

My immediate thought was that you may have put the plant in too much direct sun right out of the shipping box where it most likely spent at least a few days in pitch dark and the leaves had become weak.

If the tap water is chlorinated, you may want to let the chlorine evaporate at least overnight to 24 hrs. before using to water the plant.

If indoor humidity is low, you may need to provide a more humid environment.

robi0323
Newly Registered

I see. I did take it out of the box and planted it straight after, and put it by the window. The Netherlands does enjoy a rather humid, but cool, climate. Well, humidity is not so much like the South in the States but it's above 70 percent. In saying that, I'm reviewing some alternative to help indoors. I've put it in the shade a couple of days ago on the table so I'm hoping it will perk up again. I will try your suggestion in dehydrating the chlorine. Thank you so much for responding!

applestar
Mod

Don't keep it in 'shade' too long but gradually increase intensity and length of exposure. It's the same as when you can't go to the beach and stay in the sun all first day without burning.

robi0323
Newly Registered

I will do that! It's not totally in the shade but indoor not getting direct sunlight. I will start putting it in direct sunlight for couple of hours gradually increasing duration. Would those leaves heal?

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”