marenm
Newly Registered

Sick Bay tree

Hi there -

Wondering if anyone out there has any advice for a sick Bay tree.

I've had mine for about two years and it's gone through a lot...

Currently, it only sustains new leaf growth. Once a leaf reaches maturity it dries up and drops off. So the whole tree is bar except for the tips of each branch.

I'd say it's about 10" tall, with very few branches, in a pot 12" x 12".

A few months ago, when it was getting over a bad scale infestation and possible over-fertilizing, I cleaned it out and gave it brand new soil.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

marenm wrote:A few months ago, when it was getting over a bad scale infestation and possible over-fertilizing, I cleaned it out and gave it brand new soil.
Bay is an outdoor tree when temperature is above 50F out.

Your keeping your bay in a pot so soil and watering both fall within care for a bonsai. (see bonsai learning forum)

Your describing root problems, so as long as light levels are up to growing outdoors, and roots are intact...

imafan26
Mod

I have bay leaf in pots so, they don't mind being in pots. 12x12 inches may be too big for a 10 inch tree. I have a 3 ft tree in a three gallon pot and smaller ones in 6 inch and 1 gallon pots. They grow very slowly, so I make sure I don't over pot them and they don't like really wet soil. I move them up when the roots nearly fill the pot. When they are young I check them every 6 months or so. I do have them outside, one gets only a few hours of sun the others are in full sun.

I do agree, the plant probably needs more light, but I suspect the pot may be staying wet too long as well.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”