seedhead
Newly Registered

Best soil for container gardening

I'm installing wooden crates as containers for a school garden (with bottoms). We'll be growing veggies. I'm wondering what's the best soil to use. Can I use triple mix? Or do I have to use container soil? Thanks.

imafan26
Mod

Mel's mix works for most people

Mel’s Mix

1/3 vermiculite
1/3 peat moss
1/3 compost (from as many sources as possible)

This is done by volume. My garden beds were each 4′x4′ and needed 6″ of mix to fill them. 4x4x.5=8 cubic feet of Mel’s mix. I did three boxes, so I needed 24 cubic feet of mix, 8 cubic feet of each item. Now, this amount did fill my boxes initially, but as I watered and the mix settled, I added more compost.

It is usually cheaper to get compost by bulk instead of by the bag. If you have a truck it is the most economical way to go. If you have your own compost even better.

Peat moss, vermiculite are usually cheaper if you get it from an agricultural supply. There should be a listing in the phone book. get the dimensions of your beds and calculate how much you need. If you have contacts use them. If you know someone who has an account, there is a further discount on price. You may be able to open an account or the school system may already have one, you would have to check that out.

The local green waste recycling center may already have a ready mixed garden mix so ask. It is also cheaper by the truck load. Sometimes they deliver, but the delivery charge is usually more than the cost of the material depending on the distance.

If you can wait awhile, you can create a lasagna bed, which can be made from materials at low cost but will take some logistics to organize. Get the kids and families involved. You will need newspaper or cardboard, brown and green materials. Then you need to stockpile browns: dried leaves, hay, small twigs, paper products, wood chips (You may be able to get wood chip free from local landscaping companies. As you collect them, chop or shred the material into small pieces. Gather your greens all at once. Starbucks- if you ask you can get coffee grounds for free. The paper filters are browns. The school cafeteria can provide greens as can the families from freshly raked leaves, grass clippings (no pesticides or weed killers can be used on the grass) or kitchen waste. Do not use meat or dairy products.

https://www.kidsgardening.org/node/1139
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep323

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Lately I've been using a mixture of mushroom compost, coconut coir, and perlite. I find my homemade compost is too heavy and dense for containers, besides, I have a ton of places in the garden I want to use the homemade compost. Regular Miracle Gro potting soil works as long as you avoid the moisture control stuff - I think that creates more problems than it solves.

imafan26
Mod

Moisture control is fine in summer, but when the rains come it kills plants by keeping the media too wet.

The thing with school gardens is that unless they get a grant, it is hard to get materials. But, school gardens are catching on and they get together and partner with master gardeners or other organizations they can get a lot of materials donated and provide expertise.

Farms may donate aged manure, and you may get home depot, Lowe's or seed companies to donate some seeds. Often the lessons in school gardens is about recycling so recycling waste from the cafeteria, making their own compost, collecting greens and browns from the neighborhood and businesses and getting the whole family involved.

Teaching people to appreciate where our food comes from and how hard work it is to get it, are some of the lessons of school gardens. Hopefully, the kids also appreciate and eat more fresh food. The exercise and learning to work together doesn't hurt either.

https://www.kidsgardening.org/node/120

This is the school garden organization I know of in Hawaii

https://kokuahawaiifoundation.org/school ... resources/

imafan26
Mod

I tried coir in the orchids, but it stays too wet in the rainy season and kills orchids.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”