carmeljacques
Newly Registered

Wrong planting mix?

Last year I bought a 2 red wood planters (20 inches in diameter; 18 inches deep). I drilled 6 holes 3/4 inches in diameter in the bottom; added 2 inches of small pebbles, a piece of weed barrier (to keep the soil out of the pebbles) and filled the container with commercial potting soil. The soil is always wet when I test it with a moisture meter. So far I have managed to kill a dwarf orange tree and a bird of paradise shrub in the other planter is not looking very healthy. Other planters that came with the house are producing healthy results. I have watered the 2 new planters only sparingly and not at all during our rainy season. Should I be using a different soil mix or can I add something to what I have to solve this problem?

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi Carmel :D

Commercial potting compost usually contains a lot of peat which holds moisture rather too well. Fine if you are going to plant it with loads of bedding or a plant that is going to fill the pot quite quickly and isn't fussy about the soil but for most plants it is completely wrong. Both the plants you mentioned are tropical heat and sun lovers and will quickly perish in such rich compost. They need a free draining open soil to grow in so either add some grit/sand or perlite to your compost . Better still buy a Soil based compost like John Innes (can you buy that there?) Also let them dry out between waterings. After all in the wild they have to survive with no rain. Makes them develop a better root system.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”